Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Millennial World Records
    Administrator
    A combination of the "Our Presentation" thread and the disintegration of the "Athlete Of The Decade" thread into a bun fight over numerology brought to my mind our old friend a new set of WRs, starting with '00 (feel free to call that the new M or not, your choice; i call it a quasi-logical time to have turned over the WR meter).

If we had done that, do you realize what good press Osaka would have gotten compared to what it did? I hate to use gimmickry to sell the sport, and think that competition needs to be sold over records, but we've all seen how well that has gone so far, eh? Yet another WC devoid of record action, and with the ho-hums with which the general media greets that.

By my quick count (i.e., no real research, so I may have added one that isn't true and/or missed one) we had a half-dozen "World Records" in Osaka:

men's 400 and 4x4

women's 200, 800, 4x4, DT

two WRs each for Wariner & Felix---that mighta pushed a little bit of football and baseball off the sports pages.

---

ps--when I say "new" WRs I hasten to add that my proposal is NEVER to eliminate the old ones; there's merely a new set that was created when the calendar went from 1's to 2's. I know I'm in the minority for pushing this idea, but evidence such as the above only stiffens my resolve that that's the kind of ting the sport needs to do.

2. Collapse Details

cool stuff!
    one correction that comes to mind:

Jolanda Ceplak ran 1'55"19 outdoors in 2002, as well as 1'55"82i with Stephanie Graf also under Jepkosgei's mark with 1'55"85i.

3. Collapse Details

I suggest rolling the record "clock" back to zero at the end of every month. How exciting! A new set of records every May, then again in June, then again in July, then again.....and again.....and again...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by kuha
    I suggest rolling the record "clock" back to zero at the end of every month. How exciting! A new set of records every May, then again in June, then again in July, then again.....and again.....and again...
    I like it! But those guys who have to pay for every WR might not . . .

5. Collapse Details
    Re: Millennial World Records
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    If we had done that, do you realize what good press Osaka would have gotten compared to what it did?
    The problem is how do you avoid the negative publicity that comes from such an arbitrary cutoff, and the reasons for it? Especially since some of the most damaging PED info came out after 2000. Every new record would be described with the caveat “since they retired the obviously possibly-PED-tainted records, except for those pre-and-post-BALCO ones we don’t know about yet”. It would open up a whole new can of worms that would make T&F even more of a laughing stock than it already is in many people’s eyes.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I think 99.999% of the populace (and media) knows so little about our sport that the laughing-stock risk is almost zero.

The media/public are quick to suck up Defar's "world record" in the 2M as if it's real, dozens of women's WRs in a brand-new event like the polevault, javelin records with a new impolement and run with them. The truth hurts, but there you have it.

7. Collapse Details
    Re: Millennial World Records
    Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy
    Quote Originally Posted by gh
    If we had done that, do you realize what good press Osaka would have gotten compared to what it did?
    The problem is how do you avoid the negative publicity that comes from such an arbitrary cutoff, and the reasons for it? Especially since some of the most damaging PED info came out after 2000. Every new record would be described with the caveat “since they retired the obviously possibly-PED-tainted records, except for those pre-and-post-BALCO ones we don’t know about yet”. It would open up a whole new can of worms that would make T&F even more of a laughing stock than it already is in many people’s eyes.
    It as non-arbitrary as you can get for something that has a > sign in its definition.

Baseball has its 'modern' records, which are the primary ones that people pay attention to (of course, it is back to the 1800s or so for the earlier epoch.

8. Collapse Details

By my quick count (i.e., no real research, so I may have added one that isn't true and/or missed one) we had a half-dozen "World Records" in Osaka:

men's 400 and 4x4

women's 200, 800, 4x4, DT
    Women's DT? Whatcher talking about? Dietzsch wasn't even close to the SB.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

I think "DT" is some sort of secret code for heptathlon...?

10. Collapse Details

Powell has shown that even the toughest WR's are achievable in modern times so there's no need to renew the records. The men's discus and hammer have been close in recent years and they were once considered untouchable. Modern athletes will find a way to beat the world records. Yes - I even think that 47.60 and 10.49 will be approached.

New records might be OK for now since 2000 was a "round number", so when's the next change happening? 2025, 2050 - crazy!

Anyway - once gene therapy takes a hold over the next generation the current records will look silly and the newspapers will have much to report!