Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. Football, baseball, soccer, and basketball all thrive. Track has a world championship where a thousand people show up.

How stupid can the IAAF people be to announce this during the Wc?
    It was USADA's investigation. I don't think it's USADA's job to do IAAF's PR.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    It was USADA's investigation. I don't think it's USADA's job to do IAAF's PR.
    Of course it's not odd that USADA was completely unaware of the timing of the sport's major annual event and would therefore miss the opportunity to draw the matter to the arbitrator's attention to avoid any suggestion of grandstanding by either party.

It's not like they have any political awareness and work assiduously to continue their own existence, oh no, siree.

From the Final Award:

59. The Panel closed the hearing effective March 18, 2019. In light of the volume of the record and briefs, and the complexity of the case, the Panel requested an initial extension for the delivery of its award until July 19, 2019. Both parties consented to this extension.

60. Subsequently, and in light of the complexity of this matter and the voluminous record and briefs presented, on July 3, 2019, the Panel requested and the parties consented to an extension of time for the Panel to deliver its award until September 30, 2019.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Of course it's not odd that USADA was completely unaware of the timing of the sport's major annual event and would therefore miss the opportunity to draw the matter to the arbitrator's attention to avoid any suggestion of grandstanding by either party.

It's not like they have any political awareness and work assiduously to continue their own existence, oh no, siree.

From the Final Award:
    I don't doubt that USADA are aware of the timing but what would be preferable?-

1) They make their announcement just before the Champs and perhaps be seen to be undermining and overshadowing the start of the meet; or

2) Make the announcement after the Champs where many NOP athletes have won medals and leave many people feeling seriously misled about what they have just been watching?

4. Collapse Details

Please can someone enlighten me how banning him for 4 years changes anything? What is he banned from? Speaking to his current athletes? Attending the track he usually trains at? How can anyone possibly police or enforce that? Let's say for arguments sake he was personally administering PEDS to his athletes... I'm pretty sure they would do this in a secret location and not at the training facility. Who is going to stop him meeting up with his athletes once, twice, heck.. even six or seven times weekly to carry on this activity? Are they going to block his athletes phone numbers from his mobile? Cheaters are always 10 steps ahead.

5. Collapse Details

Salazar said he's shocked, now there's a novel response.....Maybe he can write one next.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    I don't doubt that USADA are aware of the timing but what would be preferable?-

1) They make their announcement just before the Champs and perhaps be seen to be undermining and overshadowing the start of the meet; or

2) Make the announcement after the Champs where many NOP athletes have won medals and leave many people feeling seriously misled about what they have just been watching?
    I don't care what is preferable, I care about how a professional organisation should conduct itself, and the USADA has proved itself to be unprofessional.

A professional organisation would have responded to the arbitrators proposed timetable along the lines of:

"You should be aware that, when considering the timing of your Final Award, that the IAAF WC is being undertaken from date to date. Releasing the report near to, or during the WC, could create a view that the arbitrators have a real or apprehended bias against the parties, the IAAF or the sport of long distance running."

This gives the arbitrators a chance to say:

"The USADA advised us of WC dates and, after due consideration:
    (a) We don't care, we work without consideration to other party's preferences, and when we are done, it's released immediately as we do every time, or
    (b) We released it before/after, in order to ensure that the contents could be properly, fully and immediately considered by all interested parties."

Either is reasonable, however, not advising the arbitrators is simply shameful, unprofessional behaviour in order to bolster their profile.

They know that the press cares more for drug stories than the sport itself, so a mid-WC release is perfect for their profile.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin-dave View Post
    Please can someone enlighten me how banning him for 4 years changes anything? What is he banned from? Speaking to his current athletes? Attending the track he usually trains at? How can anyone possibly police or enforce that? Let's say for arguments sake he was personally administering PEDS to his athletes... I'm pretty sure they would do this in a secret location and not at the training facility. Who is going to stop him meeting up with his athletes once, twice, heck.. even six or seven times weekly to carry on this activity? Are they going to block his athletes phone numbers from his mobile? Cheaters are always 10 steps ahead.
    It is an ADRV for the athletes to train with him moving forward. USADA/AIU is notifying everyone now. If any evidence surfaces, the athletes get charged.

It would be tough for them to train face to face anywhere in this country. Stopping him from pulling the strings behind the scenes would be harder.

8. Collapse Details

I'm SHOCKED!!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    It is an ADRV for the athletes to train with him moving forward. USADA/AIU is notifying everyone now. If any evidence surfaces, the athletes get charged.

It would be tough for them to train face to face anywhere in this country. Stopping him from pulling the strings behind the scenes would be harder.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. Salazar is now radioactive and any athletes associated with him will be tainted by the fallout.

10. Collapse Details

They should have announced this well in advance of the WC, period.