Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    I read the Salazar arbitration. I did not see

>>In early October, after years of investigation into Salazar's coaching practices, the U.S Anti-Doping Agency banned Salazar from coaching for four years after finding he had encouraged his athletes to use performance-enhancing drugs. <<

Did you?
    Yes, that news was in the front-page headline section here when the decision came down. There were several follow-up stories in the next few days as well.

2. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Meanwhile....The Times has a story on the Nike protest....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/09/s...o-salazar.html

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Yes, that news was in the front-page headline section here when the decision came down. There were several follow-up stories in the next few days as well.
    are you sure?

4. Collapse Details

I'm sure that the news of Salazar's suspension was in the headline section. Now that I look at your question and what Master403 quoted, I must say that I'm not at all sure that there was a finding that he encouraged his athletes to use PEDs. To be sure of that, one way or the other, I'd have to find and read the decision, which I don't have time to do right now. Master403 may well be right.

5. Collapse Details

Not again.. Salazar was trying to find out what his athletes could away with without flunking a drug test ...

Daly goes on to describe the role of Magness, the young American coach who was recruited by Salazar and who had departed just before the NOP’s 2012 success. Magness described to USADA the experiments Salazar performed to determine exactly how much testosterone cream could be applied to an athlete’s skin without triggering a positive test. Magness also went along with an experiment to test a rapid-acting (and illegal, under WADA rules) infusion of a supplement known to boost the body’s L-carnitine levels, which in turn helps the body convert fat to energy. At the time, Salazar assured Magness the process was legal. It was not.

https://runningmagazine.ca/the-scene...salazar-story/

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    Not again...[/URL]
    Are you implying that these are new revelations? The story is from October 1. Everything quoted was addressed in the arbitration.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    The important point, to me, is whether or not USADA found evidence that any of Salazar's athlete cohort were suggested to have been given PEDs by Salazar/his program.

I say this is the important point because if they didn't, then some athletes MAY be getting tarred with a guilt-by-association brush.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    The important point, to me, is whether or not USADA found evidence that any of Salazar's athlete cohort were suggested to have been given PEDs by Salazar/his program.

I say this is the important point because if they didn't, then some athletes MAY be getting tarred with a guilt-by-association brush.
    The arbitration decision rejected most of the sensationalized charges. It did accept, almost grudgingly, three violations. None involved doing anything illegal with his athletes. For what it's worth, everything Kara Goucher claimed was rejected.

The problem Salazar has is that TAS/CAS hears everything de novo. In cases we normally hear about, an appeal is a no-lose proposition: dismiss charges, reduce sentences. In this case, Salazar might find that this arbitration could uphold charges that were rejected, or find that the generous rolling up the charges into a single first offense, rather than three violations, disappears.

I agree that, to date, no decisions have implicated his athletes, but this appeal might screw that up.

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    my calls for clarification here, BTW, have nothing to do with untarnishing Salazar, who has forever covered himself with guck.

I'm seeking only to "protect" those athletes under his charge who may well be completely innocent of any ill-doing. And at this point, that remains all of them.

10. Collapse Details

I agree with that....