Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    NZ sets new standard in pastoral care
    Tauriki might have to comment on how much media focus this has in Aotearoa...

Canterbury Uni cleaning quality.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    in the you learn something new every day category: don't recall ever hearing term "pastoral care" before.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    in the you learn something new every day category: don't recall ever hearing term "pastoral care" before.
    I have heard it used regularly in church settings. Never in a secular setting.

4. Collapse Details

I've heard it all my life, but always in the context of a minister in regard to his/her congregation. 'They are in his pastoral care.'
    I don't see how it applies here. That student's situation was not a result of negligent pastoral care. Perhaps negligent 'communal concern'?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I have heard it used regularly in church settings. Never in a secular setting.
    I think the origins in both AUS and NZ are from UK universities where the colleges were essentially religious organisations. There are many colleges still run by churches on AUS [mostly secular] campuses mixed with secular, commercial accommodation institutions.

More broadly, "pastoral care" as a term has also expanded beyond its religious origins to describe caring for students welfare in both schools and universities.

Despite some apt suggestions, it's nothing to do with a lifestyle herding unruly beasts around the best feeding grounds.

Anyway, Canterbury NZ was named after a certain English town with a certain cathredral and bishpric rather central to religious life in that country...

6. Collapse Details

Pastoral Care is a common phrase in the Chaplain field, even though the patients we see, especially at a hospital, run the spectrum from religious to secular to whatever else. Same with Law Enforcement chaplaincy.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro View Post
    Tauriki might have to comment on how much media focus this has in Aotearoa...

Canterbury Uni cleaning quality.
    While it is very sad that a young man died, apparently by his own hand, I fail to understand why so may people in NZ are getting their bloody knickers in a twist over this.

If they had discovered his body after one day it would not change the outcome; dead for one day is no different to being dead for 4 weeks. Dead is dead.

And I fail to understand why people are pulling their hair out over what they claim to be a lack of pastoral care. He was 19 years old. He was an adult.

And at the age I was a student at WSU and the last thing I wanted was someone knocking on my door every week asking me if I was OK, and whether I needed some tender loving care and hugs. Hell, I had arrived from conservative NZ to the decadent sexual revolution of America.

My pastoral care, I guess, was in the hands of John Chaplin. And his pastoral care was sort of limited to checking that you turned up for training every day.

8. Collapse Details

I have heard of the phrase pastoral care in a student context here in the UK.

Of course in terms of the outcome for the deceased this length of time is irrelevant but the issue is that somebody didn't turn up to lectures or make contact with staff for some considerable time and nobody seemed to be aware of this and enquire as to the wellbeing and whereabouts of the student. I work in an office where practically all staff are older than a typical student but if someone doesn't turn up to work and they have neither pre-arranged leave or another absence or contacted their manager then concerns may be raised about their welfare.

9. Collapse Details

New Zealand creates new care law after student lay dead for weeks in dorm room

"New Zealand has created a new offence that makes serious breaches of student pastoral care punishable by a fine of up to NZ$100,000 (50,000) following outcry over the case of Mason Pendrous, who lay dead in his university hall of residence for weeks."

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tuariki View Post
    While it is very sad that a young man died, apparently by his own hand, I fail to understand why so may people in NZ are getting their bloody knickers in a twist over this.

If they had discovered his body after one day it would not change the outcome; dead for one day is no different to being dead for 4 weeks. Dead is dead.

And I fail to understand why people are pulling their hair out over what they claim to be a lack of pastoral care. He was 19 years old. He was an adult.

And at the age I was a student at WSU and the last thing I wanted was someone knocking on my door every week asking me if I was OK, and whether I needed some tender loving care and hugs. Hell, I had arrived from conservative NZ to the decadent sexual revolution of America.

My pastoral care, I guess, was in the hands of John Chaplin. And his pastoral care was sort of limited to checking that you turned up for training every day.
    Well, this may be late in coming, but welcome to the USA! I can only imagine how exciting it must have been to be on that team back then. The sexual revolution was just gravy on the biscuit!