Facts, Not Fiction

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    One problem is that almost every pundit is themselves a proverbial block in the teetering Jenga tower. So if they ever dare to state the obvious, they might pull the whole thing down on themselves. Makes for some grade A tap-dance bullshit though. This is Ginger Rogers level

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scienceof...29325347586050

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Not sure that CAS will be convinced about the egregious level of doping at NOP. ...
    Someone needs to show them Sifan Hassan's closing splits in her last 2 races. That should do the trick.

3. Collapse Details

Lauren Fleshman (formally of Oregon TC), is dropping some noteworthy thought bombs over at Twitterland:

If Nike stopped this policy/marketing strategy of financially fueling suspicious groups, individuals, and federations, they could be a major force for good. They could use their power to dry up the funds for dopers. But instead they hitch along for the ride while the ROI is good.
    People ask me why do I speak out against Nike when so few do. Because there are amazing, ethical people working there who deserve better. Nike is huge, and has the power to shift an industry in a way nobody else can. They can and should be the ethical enormous adult in the room.

4. Collapse Details

Paula Radcliffe:

"We talk about how much money has gone into (this investigation)...i think USADA were maybe trying to regain face after the Coleman fiasco.."

5. Collapse Details

Radcliffe is on the Nike payroll too of course. And may reside in a very palatial glass abode.

6. Collapse Details

In USA Today, Christine Brennan said today that this is the reason no one follows T&F anymore, because it is full of cheaters. Not to disparage her, but has she even seen an NFL player? In the Major Leagues they levy a minor fine on a player for doping, and he has to sit out for part of a season. Bill Belichik (sp?) was trying to explain today how knocking a man unconcious with your own head should be okay.

Our sport finds more violators of PED policies because we not only look for them, we actually try to stop them.

But as disappointed as I am with this most recent news, and I have been in a funk all day over it, I will continue to follow this sport. Because of the simple beauty of people running as fast as they can to see who will win. Because of the way that almost all vaulters support one another even in competition. And because someone of the caliber of Dina Asher Smith takes the time to walk back up the track and check on fallen competitors.

I may be a dinosaur, but I still get excited watching a bunch of kids race over 50 yards during an Elementary School field day. Knowing how they feel dashing along over the grass, reminds me of the joy that I felt.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    In USA Today, Christine Brennan said today that this is the reason no one follows T&F anymore, because it is full of cheaters. Not to disparage her, but has she even seen an NFL player? In the Major Leagues they levy a minor fine on a player for doping, and he has to sit out for part of a season. Bill Belichik (sp?) was trying to explain today how knocking a man unconcious with your own head should be okay.

Our sport finds more violators of PED policies because we not only look for them, we actually try to stop them.

This is why I believe T&F is committing suicide. Every time an up and coming or established star is shot down the professional sport is diminished more than if he or she were left alone.

The brouhaha about Coleman was just plain stupid to have been taken public.

Test in the off season, test during the season, test on competition day. But if you can’t disqualify an athlete the day of the competition, the results stand. No restesting samples eight years later. I do not give a rats @$$ if someone gets away with something. Let it go.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    No restesting samples eight years later. I do not give a rats @$$ if someone gets away with something. Let it go.
    Tell that to the cheated athletes who miss out because we can't keep up with the cheaters. Without the prospect of being caught down the track I don't see we have ANY discentive against doping. Only idiots (and the very underresourced) get caught with stuff we already know about.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    Radcliffe is on the Nike payroll too of course. And may reside in a very palatial glass abode.
    That...the fact her husband coaches Mo...and for BBC athletics...Mo is like some Prince ....its a ridiculous defense....as Ross Tucker wrote..."This ďanalysis and insight" is a black hole of anti-doping integrity."

And no shortage of funds on Salazar's side...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post

But as disappointed as I am with this most recent news, and I have been in a funk all day over it, I will continue to follow this sport. Because of the simple beauty of people running as fast as they can to see who will win. Because of the way that almost all vaulters support one another even in competition. And because someone of the caliber of Dina Asher Smith takes the time to walk back up the track and check on fallen competitors.

I may be a dinosaur, but I still get excited watching a bunch of kids race over 50 yards during an Elementary School field day. Knowing how they feel dashing along over the grass, reminds me of the joy that I felt.
    There are lots of reasons why track isn't popular but drugs is probably one on the bottom of the list.... writers like Brennan like to have a holier than thou attitude but the public just doesn't care...

As I wrote elsewhere the sport is doing great in the US on the College and below level...I was at the Dellinger XC meet...fantastic atmosphere.... the professional level is where all the problems are.