Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Another big flaw in the IAAF World Rankings system
    Because the majority of the points score for any given performance is derived from the mark set, the Doha WCh results in the road events - all much slower times due to the heat/humidity - will have much less impact on the IAAF World Rankings than they should have.

It seems quite possible that many of the results of athletes who've placed highly won't form part of their 2 or 3 "best" performances that go to make up their ranking.

2. Collapse Details

It does seem like something of an 'own goal' to promote a scoring system that will sometimes appear to undervalue your own champs.....

3. Collapse Details

Almost all Championships have non-stellar times in the Marathon.

4. Collapse Details

I wonder how Kipchoge's OG gold in Rio would have affected his IAAF ranking, had they done IAAF Rankings in 2016. His London win was 2 sec slower than Bekele's Berlin win that year, so his slow Rio time would have pulled him down.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Almost all Championships have non-stellar times in the Marathon.
    Not so with the Race Walks though - they're often very fast at Championships.
    Last edited by LuckySpikes; 09-30-2019 at 09:37 PM.

6. Collapse Details

I've actually liked seeing the ranking numbers on the screen. They are missing the boat however by not updating the rankings in real time, or at least daily during the Champs.

If you're trying to generate some sort of buzz, surely it is cool to be able to say "Athlete X has jumped in to the top 10 with that run", or "Athlete Y has hit their all-time highest ranking"?

For example, it should be apparent as of now what spot Bo Baehre (the 4th placer in MPV) has jumped to after the final,

It doesn't matter as much to me as it should that the rankings are flawed. I find it weird, however, that they are not making more of them.

7. Collapse Details

I wonder what spot SMU will jump to because she appears to be unranked (a "-" appears rather than a number).

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    I wonder what spot SMU will jump to because she appears to be unranked (a "-" appears rather than a number).
    If they were updating in real time, we'd know that already. With her heat and semi she now has 5 400m performances in the last 12 months.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    I've actually liked seeing the ranking numbers on the screen. They are missing the boat however by not updating the rankings in real time, or at least daily during the Champs.

If you're trying to generate some sort of buzz, surely it is cool to be able to say "Athlete X has jumped in to the top 10 with that run", or "Athlete Y has hit their all-time highest ranking"?

For example, it should be apparent as of now what spot Bo Baehre (the 4th placer in MPV) has jumped to after the final,

It doesn't matter as much to me as it should that the rankings are flawed. I find it weird, however, that they are not making more of them.
    Yes, and TV commentators have started to refer to it rather than automatically saying that Athlete X is number 1 in the world because they are top of the season's performance list.

I see what you're saying but I suppose during a World Champs the only thing that matters right now is your finishing place in the championships. Whether you're ranked 14th or 34th only begins to matter again next week when the build up to Tokyo 2020 starts.

Real-time updates would be definitely be a good idea for Diamond Leagues and other meetings, though it would mean that significant results from other meetings taking place in the day or two before would all need to be in the system if it's going to be accurate. So, I rather suspect that they'll just continue with their once-a-week updates instead.

10. Collapse Details

A possible reason for only doing weekly updates is that you could have, for example, 2 closely matched male hammer throwers at the top of the rankings from different European countries. As is often the case, both countries have their National Champs on the same weekend. The one who was ranked second has his hammer on the Saturday and throws 81.00 and goes top of the rankings overnight only for the other one to regain it with 81.50 on the Sunday.

While in some ways this is quite exciting it could be considered slightly misleading to proclaim the former as the World number 1.

I think tennis only publishes rankings weekly so anomalies during tournaments don't mislead.
    Last edited by Trickstat; 10-02-2019 at 01:29 PM.