Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    on the other hand, could the combination of Q-standards and rankings next year turn out to be any worse than this year's mess with Q-standards plus list-filling?
    Rhetorical question answer - no, equally dysfunctional.
    Ensuing question - will they be smart enough to fix something that's obviously broken? [hint: no]

I vote that entry into the OG/WC be identical to field event qualifying:
    There is an auto-Q that guarantees entry and then the remaining spots are filled by simply going down the yearly list. There would need to be a deadline 2 weeks prior to the meet, to sort out the invites. I realize this would not fulfill the IAAF desire to encourage DL participation, but the DL's prize money will have to do.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    I'm not suggesting they do daily updates during the "regular season" (for all the reasons you indicate), just during a champs.

During the champs, there are no other meets of significance (outside the marathon).

It takes me about 5-10 minutes to update the PV standings after a meet. It is all automated in a spreadsheet just enter the event type and resultant score......I can assure you of one thing I have learned in the last year. It is more important the meets you perform in than the resulting score, those placement scores are killer......you have to compete in some DL meets if you want to be ranked period. It is an interesting system it is not perfect.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cajun5150 View Post
    you have to compete in some DL meets if you want to be ranked period. It is an interesting system it is not perfect.
    But those that get to compete in the DL are the same athletes that don't need to compete in the DL for qualification purposes because the have the big Q. And those athletes also don't need to be ranked at all. Muhammad ran 53.61 on May 3rd in Doha, as far as the IAAF is concerned, she doesn't have to compete until Tokyo and still qualify. In effect, the new qualification system allows top athletes to not compete for a year, while forcing "mediocre" athletes to compete more.

4. Collapse Details

It takes me about 5-10 minutes to update the PV standings after a meet. It is all automated in a spreadsheet just enter the event type and resultant score
    How do you know the event type for every meet on the planet?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Easy:
    DL = 100 bonus pts
    Everything else = 1 bonus pt

6. Collapse Details

https://www.iaaf.org/world-ranking-rules/basics

Go to section 1.3......

7. Collapse Details

That doesn't help. Let's say there is a meet in Tallinn next week, how do you know if it is a "traditional international meet", an "international meet", a "national meet", an "area permit meet" a "national permit meet"...

8. Collapse Details

That doesn't help. Let's say there is a meet in Tallinn next week, how do you know if it is a "traditional international meet", an "international meet", a "national meet", an "area permit meet" a "national permit meet"...
    I tend to be proactive and get a list of up coming meets and send them to someone at IAAF to give me the meet types when in doubt.......or I just dig in and find it on the web looking for historical meet type based on past performances.... in that meet.

9. Collapse Details

As far as European meets go, that is outlined in the EAA Calendar.

https://www.european-athletics.org/c...ew=month&comp=

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackk View Post
    As far as European meets go, that is outlined in the EAA Calendar.

https://www.european-athletics.org/c...ew=month&comp=
    yep those are the easy ones........