Facts, Not Fiction

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    3 BAHRAIN BRN 03:11.82 46.1 52.3 49.2 44.3
    49.2 is pretty good!

2. Collapse Details

Does Felix's 50.4 and being the 5th fastest woman in that race guarantee her a run in the w4x4? Surely Okolo would be ahead of her based on her faster run? Perhaps Felix will do the heats.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Also, it like nobody really got the right hand-off strategy right; the men should hand over as late as possible and the women should hand to the men as soon as possible. This also implies that a MFMF or FMFM strategy will allow the mean to run about 5-10 meters further each leg and the women less. [e.g., 410, 380, 420, 390]. As it was, it seemed that the men ran only about 800m for all of the teams.
    Excellent point!

As to liking the event or not, if they changed it so that all teams ran the same gender order I think it's a fine idea. We already do that for sprint/distance medleys - teams don't get to mix up the order. As it currently stands the event makes the women look weak. Having some mid-level guy pass Allyson Felix like she's standing still is not good for the sport.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bad hammy View Post
    Excellent point!

As to liking the event or not, if they changed it so that all teams ran the same gender order I think it's a fine idea. We already do that for sprint/distance medleys - teams don't get to mix up the order. As it currently stands the event makes the women look weak. Having some mid-level guy pass Allyson Felix like she's standing still is not good for the sport.
    My thoughts exactly.

5. Collapse Details

Enjoying all the discussion of running order strategies.
    If most teams are running MFFM, my theory would be to go with FMFM. We've all seen the effect of second legs, along with the psychology that chasing can lead to extraordinary runs. So you give your #2 leg a target way out in front.
    But then you don't want to put another M on leg three because instead of chasing he's time trialing, hence not likely to maximize his leg, and your F anchor is running blind until she gets passed.
    Now that I've thought about this way to much, I still think of it as a mostly silly gimmick.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
    Enjoying all the discussion of running order strategies.
    If most teams are running MFFM, my theory would be to go with FMFM. We've all seen the effect of second legs, along with the psychology that chasing can lead to extraordinary runs. So you give your #2 leg a target way out in front.
    That makes sense to me. Although with Poland's men not being as good as the women, in relative terms, we could still lose out on the anchor leg.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    See the link here at both 0:56 and 4:19 (AF in the air with the baton, same spot two different angles).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV53K98BHfM
    you are dead right about relative positioning on Jamaica vs. U.S. I make U.S. as 0.2 ahead. Hence 44.9 and 45.1.

Turns out the Seiko splits aren't as relaiable as I was led to believe. The first two legs are calculated by formula from the start line. I thought they were legit transponder splits at the exchange point.
    Last edited by gh; 10-01-2019 at 02:17 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Okay, I thought this was just a gimmick, but I really enjoyed it. I hope is stays, as long as it does not displace another event........

9. Collapse Details

i was able to watch the semi with the US on YT but couldn't find the other semi. has anyone seen it?

poor salwa naser, got ran over by the canadian male runner in that exchange...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Okay, I thought this was just a gimmick, but I really enjoyed it. I hope is stays, as long as it does not displace another event........
    It's already displacing time on the schedule that could be allocated to rest time for athletes wanting to double or simply compete in thier individual event.