Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I neither love it nor hate it. I've seen a number of them now, and some of them have worked better than others. I don't think it's doing to save the sport, but I don't think it's doing any real harm.

2. Collapse Details

It looks like MFFM has pretty much become the default order now, and the Polish experiment in the final not working out too well might deter others from trying anything different in the future. So even with no IAAF-mandated order, we might see all teams doing the same thing in Tokyo, which to me is a good thing.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    It looks like MFFM has pretty much become the default order now, and the Polish experiment in the final not working out too well might deter others from trying anything different in the future. So even with no IAAF-mandated order, we might see all teams doing the same thing in Tokyo, which to me is a good thing.
    For the most part, speed is fungible and if you don't have the horses, changing the order around isn't going to help you out. Also note that the Poles were better than 3 teams in the final who ran MFFM, not to mention the teams that didn't make it to the final. What's their excuse?

4. Collapse Details

I think combined foot speed, not order in which sexes run, will ultimately/consistently determine the results.. I just don't like the image of men overpowering women.

5. Collapse Details

Sooner or later on one of these, the female anchor will get the baton with just the right amount of an advantage to make it interesting (eg. 40-45 meters). As they approach the homestretch it will appear that Michael Norman will catch Shaunee Miller at the line, but that doesn't happen because Norman chased too hard in the 1st 300m. Then with 15m to go and the American gold looking imminent, Norman implodes and Miller crosses the line with arms raised in victory and everyone proclaims it the race of the meet.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I think combined foot speed, not order in which sexes run, will ultimately/consistently determine the results.. I just don't like the image of men overpowering women.
    Well, LoneWolf, I predicted back at the World Relays that MFFM was really the only way to go. Overpowering is not the way I would describe a man chasing a woman with a 60 meter lead around the track. And if the US was forced to go MMFF it would be fun to watch
    Some guy go out too fast, pass the American anchor wth 90 m to go, then see him die and get nipped at the wire. That's how I script it for the movie: 4x4 Mixed Again!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    For the most part, speed is fungible and if you don't have the horses, changing the order around isn't going to help you out. Also note that the Poles were better than 3 teams in the final who ran MFFM, not to mention the teams that didn't make it to the final. What's their excuse?
    did poland run the same order in the prelims?

i read that japan is the only other team to deviate from MFFM, they went FFMM, but still didn't made the final.

8. Collapse Details

Is Japan even projected to make the finals?

I reckon USA will still win regardless of the order.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Baumgart split 51.1 on the 3rd leg, which is pretty much the same time she ran twice in the individual races and on the first leg of the w4x4 (her fifth race of the champs). Had she not been running blind, you'd expect her to be at least 0.5 faster with a running start, which is how much they missed a medal by.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Had she not been running blind, you'd expect her to be at least 0.5 faster with a running start, which is how much they missed a medal by.
    Why would you expect that? Was her experience any different than running an open 400 from an outer lane (eg. Wade Van Niekerk in 2016)? I agree that some people are mentally unsuited for time-trialing but if a team has that sort of personnel it shouldn't use a MMFF order, which requires 3 legs to time-trial.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 10-08-2019 at 01:26 PM.