Facts, Not Fiction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    next thing you know the IAAf will be handing out "participation trophies"
    Administrator
    Last edited by gh; 09-26-2019 at 11:23 PM.

2. Collapse Details

I like this change. I've always been uncomfortable with the term fastest loser. Words matter.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    fwiw, I don't believe I ever used the phrase in all my years in the IAAF both. My style was always (at least as far as I recall!) to say, "qualifying the first x in each heat and the next y fastest overall"

4. Collapse Details

Didn’t bolt and Johnson once each advance with a small q ?

5. Collapse Details

I don't mind "fastest loser" or "lucky loser"-type terminology where it's applied to actual losers; but frequently time qualifiers are just athletes who knew what they needed to do to qualify, and avoided expending extra energy.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    and to use the language properly, places 2-x are also "losers" even if they advance

7. Collapse Details

Coming soon from the IAAF: Athletics convicted of doping may no longer be called "drug cheats" because it sounds too negative. Going with the times, the IAAF recommends the more appropriate "hormonally enhanced". Also false starts will be called "premature acceleration" and disqualifications in the race walks will be "early disembarkments".

8. Collapse Details

Ideally this will change the way the sport is covered (when it is) by mainstream media. Eliminating the negative connotations of anything less that a win in a WR performance needs to happen. Headlines from a positive direction must always be the case, no matter the performance. No other sport leads with "Athlete N fails to...." when someone is competing at this level.

9. Collapse Details

Huh! Not sure I even noticed the 'fastest loser' use. I guess I thought it was 'next fastest qualifiers'.
    I don't think it's wimpification, just a clearer way of phrasing it.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MJR View Post
    Headlines from a positive direction must always be the case, no matter the performance. No other sport leads with "Athlete N fails to...." when someone is competing at this level.
    Really? Wanna google "worst NFL performances" and see how many 1000s of hits you'll get? US sports has perfected the art of critizising performances to perfection by keeping stats about everything. Try putting a positive spin on a zero passers rating, or lowest batting average, or, or, or...