Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

This is a random thought, but shout-out to Jonielle Smith for coming in last minute, after the super late Williams withdrawal, and running pretty well to make the final and finish sixth with 11.06. Even without Williams leading them off, Jamaica has so much firepower that only a fumble (false start, botched exchange, lane infringement) can lose the 4x1 gold for them.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    What sort of relationship do Fraser-Pryce and Thompson have? Always thought they were friends, but maybe a bit more complicated than that. The congratulatory hugs after the race looked a bit icy to me but I guess they are competitors and Thompson surely disappointed.
    Don't know how much it matters but in this video after the final Shelly talks near the end about cheering for Elaine in 2017 while on maternity leave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jNTq_zDnfQ

3. Collapse Details

Those hair pieces they wear are interesting.
    Like Snoopy was wearing when he was flying against the Red Baron

:-)

4. Collapse Details

Remember that there is a hair professional under the lid for the Jamaican sprinters... (at least that is what I remember).

As for sprinters returning from maturnaty and doing well, two-time OG Gold medalist (and almost 3) Gail Devers took 2005 off when she had a child and then cam back to run 7.86 WL in the 60h - she was 40 when she ran that in 2007 (and still has Graves disease, I think because I do not think it totally goes away).

Finally, another US athlete had a SB after giving birth - in June (2019) MM-C...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Ultimately, they are competitors vying for the same spots.
    Yes, but look at their congratulations after Rio and look at it here. Complete 180. They barely acknowledged each other yesterday.

I agree with AFelixFan, surely it has to do with SAFP leaving the camp and then coming back. Only so much attention to go around.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Probably not enough to contend even for a medal. We have Jamaica, Germany and the U.K. to contend with. When was the last time the U.S. looked this bad?
    1976?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Weights&Shoes View Post
    Agreed.
    Why not simply three semis - top three in each? I know Rio had only eight lanes, but when the venue has nine lanes, it makes so much more sense. Even for the 800, the two slowest 3rd placers could stack up in lane 8.
    Last edited by Slowrunner; 09-30-2019 at 05:30 AM.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    What sort of relationship do Fraser-Pryce and Thompson have? Always thought they were friends, but maybe a bit more complicated than that. The congratulatory hugs after the race looked a bit icy to me but I guess they are competitors and Thompson surely disappointed.
    They were good friends admittedly; however, something went awry between the 2 of them in 2017, that caused them to even unfollow each other on IG. They've done a great job in keeping it out of the media.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    Yeah, there's no denying Fraser-Pryce's 100m GOAT status now.
    More than that, shes not only the GOAT at 100, Male and female, she's also the GOAT female sprinter. No other woman can match her individual gold medals, no 200 or 400 woman has done what shes done.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    DAS will likely become the first British woman to medal in the 100 at a worlds, and only the second in the last 59 years to get on the podium at a worlds or Olympics.
    She actually was the first British woman to make the 100 final at the Worlds. Probably makes the UK the only country in the W100m who have had every finalist get a medal.