Facts, Not Fiction

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Pigdog View Post
    I think you have a minor error in your splits. SMU second 100 was only 11.9 not 11.5...Nasser ran 11.1. That is pretty much where the race was won. Nasser was aggressive and knew her fitness that she could finish fairly strong. SMU likely did not anticipate Nasser to be so strong and so far ahead at 300m.
    That 11.9 for Miller's second 100 does catch my eye. Normally, the second 100 is the fastest 100 segment for a optimally paced 400 (see Michael Johnson, Wade Van Niekerk, etc.). In her case, her first 100 was her fastest which is unusual. If she had run the second 100 0.4s faster (11.5 instead of 11.9), how much slower would her second 200 have been? By the way, note that despite the optical illusion, for both Miller and Naser, their last 100 (12.7 and 13.1 respectively) was by far their slowest. They were both fading, Naser was just fading more.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 10-04-2019 at 11:57 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    and in the wonderful world of arcane track stats, Naser and SMU set records for lanes 5 and 7!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dinamo View Post
    I'm not entirely sure she did get it wrong, and she did apparently spend quite a while being sick afterwards so she obviously gave a lot of herself to run that fast. It just seemed in the last 80 that she had more in the tank than Naser, but that is to be expected given the different approaches they took to the race. The middle portion of her race seems conservative going off the splits, but equally she ran a massive pb and a Commonwealth record so did incredible someone else just did even better.

I would like to see SMU get a inside lane in one of these champs though, just to see what effect that has.
    Naser ran a race pattern as if she was the 300m WR holder.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    That 11.9 for Miller's second 100 does catch my eye. Normally, the second 100 is the fastest 100 segment for a optimally paced 400 (see Michael Johnson, Wade Van Niekerk, etc.). In her case, her first 100 was her fastest which is unusual. If she had run the second 100 0.4s faster (11.5 instead of 11.9), how much slower would her second 200 have been? By the way, note that despite the optical illusion, for both Miller and Naser, their last 100 (12.7 and 13.1 respectively) was by far their slowest. They were both fading, Naser was just fading more.
    Good points. Pondering the splits and watching replay, I would say that, if one were imagining a perfect "re-do" for SMU that might have won her this race, it would begin with a slower first 100m.

Being .3 faster than Naser over the first 100m was not a good thing. SMU put a lot of energy into charging out of the blocks. Backing off the unsustainable pace in the second 100m appears, at first glance, to be what cost her the race. But, if she had not, she would have faded even more against the clock in the last 100m.

5. Collapse Details

I've watched this race no less than a dozen times...

1. Nasser absolutely blew by SMU from 200m-300m. Not only was she going faster, but Nasser being on the outside lane made it that much more difficult for SMU to keep up as the staggers straightened out.

2. Nasser's speed endurance is something else. I still cannot wrap my head around how strong she looked in the last 100m, despite going out so hard. SMU was closing but it wasn't like she was mowing her down, Nasser held her own on that stretch.

6. Collapse Details

Not sure if anyone's asked this question yet, but how much faster, if any, would Naser have run without those additional mixed 4x4 runs in her legs?

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    Not sure if anyone's asked this question yet, but how much faster, if any, would Naser have run without those additional mixed 4x4 runs in her legs?
    were those 2 runs any more "debiliating" have been than what normal workout sessions on those days might have been?

8. Collapse Details

they also may have been a confidence booster for her, she ran really well in them both so must have gained confidence about her shape from that. plus she got a medal so I'm sure she was delighted with that.

9. Collapse Details
    Talking
    Not just that, but as mentioned before...she was in a huge collision with one of the male runners on the exchange during the mixed relay heats. Could’ve been catastrophic. Honestly resembled a Quarterback being sacked and blindsided in the back.

She overcame ALL of that.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by _Jay View Post
    Not just that, but as mentioned before...she was in a huge collision with one of the male runners on the exchange during the mixed relay heats. Could’ve been catastrophic. Honestly resembled a Quarterback being sacked and blindsided in the back.

She overcame ALL of that.
    That is over doing it some; clearly it did not result in injury.