Facts, Not Fiction

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

How much was SMU hamstrung with Francis, who is a closer, to the outside? She caught her into the the turn and probably felt she was on the correct pace and then she sees Naser blowing her away. You can see SMU react to the sight of the gold medal out of reach and she starts churning. Great race by all the top-5.

2. Collapse Details

wow did not expect a WR....that was incredible...POY so far i think

3. Collapse Details

I will say this about that run. Someone stated it and Iíll echo. What Naser did was really gutsy. I personally think how she ran that race is how the 400 should be ran. Most persons are just too afraid of the pain to do it or too afraid of imploding to try it. In Naserís place she probably figured that the only way to beat her would be to do what WVN and even Koch did.... Run scared! We are used to seeing people do that from the outside lanes but itís a different thing to do from inside because most people like to tuck behind the persons in front of them. I think Naser just knew she had to just go all out from the get go if she had any chance of beating SMU with the form SMU was in.

I love a gutsy run like that. You know now that everyone will rethink how they are running because of what Naser did. I expect more persons to be outright gunning it from the get go in their races.

4. Collapse Details

Back earlier in the year I got flack for suggesting that the other two strong 400 runners might pressure SMU and lead her to have problems like she had the last two Champs. Later I said that I thought that less likely because SMU was looking even better and, more importantly, SMU just looked different and wouldn't get taken out of her race pattern.

Some have been hypothesizing that SMU should have gone out faster -- exactly the sort of thing that would more likely have led her back to the problems from before. 48.37 was extremely good and a little better than I expected; obviously 48.14 was better than expected.

Watching the race live I was stunned at how fast it went out, and then thought about people saying that the running clock was a bit behind true time.

5. Collapse Details

That was a Koch-like run from Naser. And Marita never ran a couple of relay legs before starting her individual competition.

6. Collapse Details

Naser went out fast in the heats and the semis; she told everyone what she was going to do but she was hidden from SMU who had to guess at the pace.

7. Collapse Details

Why are people saying SMU was conservative?! She just ran a 48.37!!! How can a nearly .6 PR (or any PR, for that matter) be conservative? Stop it!

SMU ran a gorgeous race. Nasser was better. Today.

I think this shows the entire racing world what's possible. I don't expect we'll return to a time when 49.x will get you a gold in a Major.

That said, I think SMU has a deeper well to draw from. We may have seen Nasser's Jeremy Wariner moment. Maybe not, but maybe she's an early bird/shooting star?

Whatever, that was the race of the Century for me. I don't blame the lane #7 at all. WVN's 43.03 was from the outside. Nasser was from #5...but to me she ran like WVN did; balls-to-the-wall the whole way and lets the chips fall (the last 50-70 meters) where they may.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

8. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Why are people saying SMU was conservative?! She just ran a 48.37!!! How can a nearly .6 PR (or any PR, for that matter) be conservative? .

Mainly because of the way she finished. Once they hit the straight and she saw she was in trouble she floored it. She made up significant ground but it was too late.
    There are no strings on me

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Why are people saying SMU was conservative?! She just ran a 48.37!!! How can a nearly .6 PR (or any PR, for that matter) be conservative? Stop it!

SMU ran a gorgeous race. Nasser was better. Today.
    Well said. Miller was masterful, Naser was just better and there's no shame in that. I wonder if these folks were pooh-poohing Daniel Roberts after this year's NCAA 110 hurdles final.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Mainly because of the way she finished. Once they hit the straight and she saw she was in trouble she floored it. She made up significant ground but it was too late.
    The 400 is a zero-sum game. Any extra energy expended in one part of the race isn't available in other parts of the race. If Miller had run Naser's race instead of her own, she wouldn't have finished as strong as she did, and she may have even run slower, so I can't blame for wanting to avoid what happened to her two years ago.