Facts, Not Fiction

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Why does Naser only get "WL" next to her name and not the "AR" in the official results?

2. Collapse Details

Watching it again in amazement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXgV4hslU74

What really has me is Nasser looking totally fine after the race. That plus SMU's stunned face for a good while.

I love sports.

I've now seen live 21.6, 48.1, 40.8 (4x1), 12.20, plus 10.6.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    I have a lot of respect for an athlete (Nasser) who is willing to change her race pattern, in the biggest race of the year. Instead of doing the same thing she had been doing, she decided to go out hard, and put her self in race (even in the lead at 300). Seemed like Miller Uibo ran more conservative than usual. I think she hurt herself by not running more 400's this year. She wasn't confident she could go hard early.
    Agree with this...Nasser is amazing to just put it all on the line like that knowing full well that she will be losing ground to SMU at the end. It showed supreme confidence and a lot of guts, hats off to her. She's shown she can run a splendid race from in front and she can also run people down. Only 21, she's going to be a force.

SMU, she sort of alluded to a "time" that her coach had in mind for her...later sort of revealed it as low 48s shape that she knew she was in. But I think nobody had any idea that Nasser was going to show up in this sort of form and Shaunae no doubt thought she could run a pretty controlled first 300m and then just power away from everyone and get that 48.x. Problem was when she started that turn between 200-250m, Nasser was zooming by. With the entire turn still left and Nasser pulling away on the inside, the only question was how badly Nasser was going to falter and as we saw, she ran an impressive homestretch considering how fast she went out.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    I have a lot of respect for an athlete (Nasser) who is willing to change her race pattern, in the biggest race of the year. Instead of doing the same thing she had been doing, she decided to go out hard, and put her self in race (even in the lead at 300). Seemed like Miller Uibo ran more conservative than usual. I think she hurt herself by not running more 400's this year. She wasn't confident she could go hard early.
    Agree with much of your post. One can possibly believe that Naser had more coming from the number of races in the event than Miller-Uibo did in her 200/400 mix. Particularly as it might be with fine tuning race patterning and adjustment.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    Francis sets a PR, 0.31 faster than she ran to win the last worlds, yet only good enough for 5th here.
    Francis=championship performer.

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Why does Naser only get "WL" next to her name and not the "AR" in the official results?
    because T&FN has never thought "area records" were of enough import to note (particularly since most probably don't know what comprises an "area" in the first place). That's an IAAF construct.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    because T&FN has never thought "area records" were of enough import to note (particularly since most probably don't know what comprises an "area" in the first place). That's an IAAF construct.
    Interesting, I always assumed an area was continental (European, Asian, African record etc.) But I guess I was asking about the IAAF results since they noted Naser with a WL but gave SMU an AR.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Aha.... the answer (far as I know) to that is that the IAAF programming only allows for a single "extra" credential and there's a hierarchy, apparently with world leaders trumping area records.

9. Collapse Details

I was at work all day, and after reading this board, I finally got home to watch the race. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!! Amazing race for every competitor. Both Nasar and SMU had the race of their lives.

My only gripe was that the announcers were so fixated on Francis in Lane 8, they made absolutely no mention of Nasar until the 250 to 300 mark, even though it was obvious to everyone else Nasar was gobbling up the backstretch.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    How is that a smooth trajectory? She improved her PR by 0.80 last year, and 1.0 the year before. 0.96 is right in the same ballpark. 0.3 or 0.4 would be topping out. I didn't say anything about the future, just about what she's done up to now. I think we're just making different comparisons.
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I believe 0.94s for a runner with a 49.08 PR is comparable to 60cm for a long jumper with a 6.80m PR. FYI, it took Marita Koch 4 years to improve her PR from 48.94 (age 21) to 48.16 (age 25), and Sanya Richards, who ran 48.92 at age 20, only improved to 48.70 the following year, which turned out to be her career peak.