Facts, Not Fiction

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jshapco2 View Post
    Wow Naser sets the world record! Amazing!!! Yes , I know there are two women are technically ahead of her but comon.....
    I prefer Naser's technique....almost like Ashford reborn and running one lap.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by t_monk View Post
    And I doubt Naser being on her outside would have helped SMU because likely she would have seen the pace that Naser is running and not challenge her assuming (as we all did) that there is no way that Naser could keep pace. I kept expecting SMU to claw back at Naser and for Naser to implode and probably end up like 3rd or 4th.
    Well said. There's no way Miller could have expected Naser to hold that pace. And since Miller herself has recent experience with rigor mortis at the last two global championships, why would she chase Naser only to have the same thing happen to her again? Miller ran a brilliant race but there's nothing she or any athlete can do about Beamonesque performances by others.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Well said. There's no way Miller could have expected Naser to hold that pace. And since Miller herself has recent experience with rigor mortis at the last two global championships, why would she chase Naser only to have the same thing happen to her again? Miller ran a brilliant race but there's nothing she or any athlete can do about Beamonesque performances by others.
    Except that Beamon's improvement did not continue the same curve he'd been on for the previous 3 seasons. Naser kept the trajectory very smooth. 1.0, 0.8, 0.94.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    I prefer Naser's technique....almost like Ashford reborn and running one lap.
    yes, she's truly a joy to watch floating down the backstretch

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Except that Beamon's improvement did not continue the same curve he'd been on for the previous 3 seasons. Naser kept the trajectory very smooth. 1.0, 0.8, 0.94.
    Come on man, you know better than that. Improvement curves level out after a certain point (sub-50 for women). Using this logic, Naser will be running 47.1 next year.

6. Collapse Details

Come on man, you know better than that. Improvement curves level out after a certain point (sub-50 for women). Using this logic, Naser will be running 47.1 next year.
    Yes, but you can't predict when and where.

Naser ran the same first 200 all three races. In the other two races she never needed to continue that pace. Naser told SMU the story but SMU failed to believe the ending.

Jonathas with a great season that ends in a PB.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Yes, but you can't predict when and where.

Naser ran the same first 200 all three races. In the other two races she never needed to continue that pace. Naser told SMU the story but SMU failed to believe the ending.
    Were you expecting Naser to run 48.1?

8. Collapse Details

That wasn't the point. Beamon's performance was esque-ish because it went so far beyond anything anyone had ever done, including himself. Naser kept going as she has since 2016, and if we ignore the Ks, she improved on Perec by 0.11. That is hardly esque-ish in any way.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 10-03-2019 at 11:38 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Were you expecting Naser to run 48.1?
    I wasn't surprised, as I indicated previously. I was thinking of predicting it a few days ago. Next time, I will, just for fun!

Oh why not now, she will break the WR next year. Just 58.7% of her average annual improvement each of the last 3 years will do.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 10-03-2019 at 11:47 PM.

10. Collapse Details

I know many of us are getting drawn away by what might have happened if lanes were different, or whatever, but let's just bask in the glow of this outstanding race. Stellar times and a lot of PRs.