Facts, Not Fiction

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    You need to calm down...guilt by association is a mediocre argument regarding someone hasn't failed a test.
    Being guilty of making a foolish choice of coach has nothing to do with failing a drug test.
    She went to him more than a year after he was named via the testimony of several people in an investigation into doping.

Hang out with the wrong people and you deal with suspicion. Pretty hard to understand?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    No one knows who is tainted and who is not. Or the extent to which there is any such distinction to be made. And making accusations oneself is no exemption on that count.

When American athletes (e.g. Torrence) have presumed to accuse, I do dislike it as much as when it comes from another source.
    Maybe my comments were misunderstood. I said important races. I was primarily talking of being beaten in many races by a US runner, who was banned for use of illegal substances, and, as I recall, fessed up. Of the others who beat her in championship races, I am always careful not to make assertions that cannot be fully backed up, and also wary of being "banned" from here. At my age, I have learnt to let Father Time have his way; in most cases, suspicions became "certainties" some years or decades later.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    this thread is about Doha competition; you wanna talk drugs take it to the Salazar thread

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    this thread is about Doha competition; you wanna talk drugs take it to the Salazar thread
    I do not know whether the earlier banned athlete I was referring to was a Salazar protege or not.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by trackCanuck View Post
    Genzebe is a woman......
    I realize that, hence the irony of my quote. Also why I started the post with the word "Funny".

6. Collapse Details

Dibaba is more or less finished.
    Didn't she run 3:55 this summer, and was it injuries that forced her to withdraw from Doha? I wouldn't say she is finished just yet.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    Just think of the time Hassan would have run if she took it out straight from the start.

Now, give her a good pacer in a DL meet and she could WR
    Low-to-mid-3:49.x? The equivalent of a 4:06-4:07 mile.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I disagree. The only reason that tactic made sense is because Hassan knew that there was no one else in the field who could match her speed and strength. I'm not sure it would have worked if a 2015-vintage Genzebe was in the field, maybe 50%/50% at best.
    Who's to say she wouldn't have taken her chances with that pace even with Genzebe in the race? It would have been a classic survival-of-the-fittest battle all the way to the wire. Way better than to get caught in a scrum and get tripped up from the front or from behind, with 4:02-4:10 the winning time. Ask Morgan Uceny. :-(
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 10-08-2019 at 08:36 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TN1965 View Post
    Nike could set up a WR attempt with pacers if they want, But she is running a half marathon in three weeks. (Valencia)
    And she might break the WR there. She ran a Euro record 65:15 in her first one, which was foreshadowing that she might do a great 10,000.
    Valencia was where Abraham Kiptum ran 58:18, just broken by Kamworor at Copenhagen. Most of the top women's halves have been at RAK, but the current WR was set on the Valencia course, 64:51 by Joyciline Jepkosgei.

I don't think we've seen the last of tactical racing in championships.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

10. Collapse Details

Dibaba is more or less finished.
    Huh? She ran two very good 1500s, beating Muir, Tsegay, Simpson and GD-S in Rome and beating Hassan, Tsegay and Arafi in 3:55 in Rabat, then limped to the finish in 4:00.xx in Zurich. She was hurt.

Do you have some sort of inside info about her?
    I'll bet she runs some great indoor races next year, Nanjing, Nanjing, Nanjing!
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank