Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    Yes, that happened. If there is a protest, hope they make a decision either way and don't advance both.
    Since Hull is an NOP athlete, I bet there would have been a protest if Salazar had not been suspended...

But if Nakaayi was not DQ'ed in 800, I cannot see how Nanyondo can be DQ'ed here.

2. Collapse Details

What will happen when Hassan and Kipyegon ask full out during the final lap? IMO, that was easily the most intriguing variable entering this meet, and nothing has changed.

Muir and Houlihan are very good but I'll be quite surprised if a gap doesn't develop between Hassan/Kipyegon and that second tier.

During the 2017 world championships 1500 I had a wager on Kipyegon and wasn't worried in the slightest. There was no chance the flailing time trial girl was going to sustain against a freak athlete like Faith Kipyegon. To Hassan's credit, after the Olympic flop when Kipyegon left her in wake she realized in 2017 than she couldn't spot Kipyegon 2-3 meters on the final lap and have any chance at all. Consequently Hassan circled Kipyegon in 2017 and tried to gap her, but it was comically hopeless. I waited for the inevitable. Hassan was spent and finished off the podium. The British announcer summarized perfectly a minute or two after the race: "Kipyegon broke her spirit," referring to Hassan.

There is no question it could be different this time. Hassan entered the 2017 race with the best time in the world. But in 2019 the times are more outstanding. Kipyegon appears a bit heavier than 2016 or 2017, which is obviously understandable coming off maternity leave.

But I remain surprised that so many fans are all but conceding this to Hassan. I'm not convinced the American public was fully paying attention in either 2016 or 2017. Most of the pre race attention both times was on Dibaba. If you assign Kipyegon's identical efforts in those two races to Dibaba's resume and not Kipyegon's, then there is no question that maternity-leave Dibaba 2019 would be either favored or toss up against Hassan, no matter what Hassan had accomplished recently.

Very odd conventional wisdom. That's all I'm saying. Kipyegon had the baby 16 months ago. She resumed training in January 2019, according to her own words in the Prefontaine post race interview. It's not as if this has been a 3-month rush job.

IMO, Hassan should attempt an Ayana or Chepkoech-type tactic and decimate the field from the outset. Kipyegon might not be capable of 3:55 or lower right now. Both the 2016 and 2017 finals that Hassan lost to Kipyegon were dawdling pace over the first 800, enabling Kipyegon's superior tactics to carry the day.

Hassan is certainly capable of an Ayana/Chepkoech strategy but she has never been gutsy enough to try it in a major race.
    Last edited by Awsi Dooger; 10-05-2019 at 12:57 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Current betting odds below. If you want me to say for reference purposes only, I'll say for reference purposes only.

I never thought I would see Faith Kipyegon 4/1 in this era. Maybe the bettors will become so enamored with Hassan it will go even higher. The vast separation between the top 2 and the second tier makes sense:

Hassan -333
    Kipgeyon +400
    Muir +1400
    Houlihan +2500
    Simpson +3300

https://sports.bwin.com/en/sports/17...ics#sportId=17

4. Collapse Details

This finals is absolutely loaded. Can't wait.

5. Collapse Details

Hassan's body is more efficient than in the past; she flails less and wastes less energy and her overall form is much better. That has to come from the coaching (and strength work) she has had at NOP. Also note that Hassan's quasi-PB (from her Mile WR) is a couple of seconds faster and done this season.

6. Collapse Details

Holy sh**

7. Collapse Details

Hassan! Wow. One of the greatest of all time. Even if she ends her career here. And that time.

8. Collapse Details

HOT DAMN! 3:51.95!

Houlihan dips under 3:55.0.

9. Collapse Details

Are we seeing the making of the greatest distance runner ever? How old is she? Geez!!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

10. Collapse Details

Hassan putting her CV together for GOAT submission. Just a stellar run and phenomenal final lap!