Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 151 to 160 of 160
  1. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,482
    Quote Originally Posted by CookyMonzta View Post
    Low-to-mid-3:49.x? The equivalent of a 4:06-4:07 mile.
    Not sure you guys understand running the distance races. The first part of the race did not go terribly slow so if she was faster the first several hundred meters a good chunk of that time gain would come off elsewhere.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Not sure you guys understand running the distance races. The first part of the race did not go terribly slow so if she was faster the first several hundred meters a good chunk of that time gain would come off elsewhere.
    Good point. I don't think a lot people understand that when a runner is near his/her limit, you're playing a zero-sum game, and that goes for sprints as well. No, Shaunee Miller would not have run 47.87 if she had run the first 200m 0.5s faster.
    Last edited by jazzcyclist; 10-10-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Good point. I don't think a lot people understand that when a runner is near his/her limit, you'replaying a zero-sum game, and that goes for sprints as well. No, Shaunee Miller would not have run 47.87 if she had run the first 200m 0.5s faster.
    Thank you. Some of the revisionist "times" people are saying so-and-so would have run if they had done this-or-that is impossible to know (fun to speculate).

    Watching so many races/time-trials over the years I've noticed that some people have VERY NARROW tolerances for deviation of the zero-sum scenario. If they are off on their splits the tiniest bit...they're done while others can play with the splits a little more. In the end, though, we are all subject to limited fuel.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Indian Territory
    Posts
    13,823
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    . In the end, though, we are all subject to limited fuel.
    There ya go... you can burn it early or burn it late.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Good point. I don't think a lot people understand that when a runner is near his/her limit, you'replaying a zero-sum game, and that goes for sprints as well. No, Shaunee Miller would not have run 47.87 if she had run the first 200m 0.5s faster.
    Thank you. I was rolling my eyes so much in the w400 thread.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    Thank you. I was rolling my eyes so much in the w400 thread.
    Yes, when I saw people inventing ways for someone other than the winner to take the prize, I had to remember I wasn't eating popcorn in a theater.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Good point. I don't think a lot people understand that when a runner is near his/her limit, you're playing a zero-sum game, and that goes for sprints as well. No, Shaunee Miller would not have run 47.87 if she had run the first 200m 0.5s faster.
    Her coach says she ran exactly as she planned to run. Not second-guessing what she did at all. See story linked in front page headline section.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Her coach says she ran exactly as she planned to run. Not second-guessing what she did at all. See story linked in front page headline section.
    She ran her race, not Naser's. The dumbest thing she could have done is run someone else's race.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    Yup.
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    Her coach says she ran exactly as she planned to run. Not second-guessing what she did at all. See story linked in front page headline section.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    She ran her race, not Naser's. The dumbest thing she could have done is run someone else's race.
    And ran a personal best by 0.60.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •