Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrJay View Post
    I think I'd go crazy from the training with little racing, during the heart of the season. I understand wanting to peak for the big meet, but still.....
    BTC doesn't race nearly enough for the most part. it's really too bad, the entire rest of the world except almez ayana and makloufi race all season every year

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
    Re: Frierichs. I don't think you can just train your way through the summer, like BTC, and come into a championship race-sharp. Racing is the best sharpening.
    No kidding. Frerichs' strategy since 2017 was preposterous, the worst of any athlete I can think of during that time frame. I emphasized this a few weeks ago in the "how many medals?" thread.

That 2017 world championship race was a breakthrough since she joined the lead pack for the first time and it succeeded beyond any logical expectation. By all logic Frerichs should have continued to build on that tactic. Race more often, not less often. Get accustomed to being up there with the leaders. Have them accustomed to seeing you up there. Those races have value. Somehow Frerichs' camp brainstormed that everyday races have no value. They never acknowledged how fortunate that 2017 outcome was, and it came back to burn them today, which could not have been less predictable. Again, I mentioned it in that thread.

Such a waste. Test your limits, as Coburn has. Coburn tried to go out reasonably close to Chepkoech's pace in a couple of recent Diamond League events and saw that it didn't work for her. Consequently she knew exactly what to do that once Chepkoech pushed the pace from the outset. Coburn's best opportunity at a medal was to linger 8-10 seconds back. She executed it perfectly. Now she has to decide if she wants to remain content where she is, or find an extra 5 seconds and hope Chepkoech can't bring something more than that in an Olympic final minus rabbits. As great as Chepkoech is, she is out there on her own and overly aggressive mistakes can happen, like overconfident Ayana in the Rio 5000 final.

What does Frerichs do now? She has nothing to draw from, via 2018 or 2019. This event was always destined to get stronger and stronger as the higher profile nature meant more countries would send their better athletes into the event. Merely via watching how poor some of the hurdles tactics are you can see that there is room for a breakthrough. That's why I'm not surprised by Krause at all.

Also during an Olympic year the Kenyans are going to be more than one deep. That was a big missed opportunity toward that bronze medal today.
    Last edited by Awsi Dooger; 10-01-2019 at 02:11 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Well, there was that American Record last year...

Let's hope Houlihan is sharp or get's sharper through the rounds of the 1500. That's going to be a barnburner last 800, likely sub 2:00.

4. Collapse Details

This is why I always support Coburn over Frerichs because Coburn races a lot, stays competitive in most races and really tests herself this year.

5. Collapse Details

The commentators totally missed Chespol give up right as Chepkoech hit 2k, as Masback was rambling again.

Makes it hard to sweep when you drop out.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post
    The commentators totally missed Chespol give up right as Chepkoech hit 2k, as Masback was rambling again.

The commentators on the Iaaf stream caught it.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fortius19 View Post

The NBC commentators also missed the oldest Norwegian brother dropping out of the 5000 before the bell lap.

8. Collapse Details

*middle child

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    *middle child
    The middle of these three, but there's a lot more siblings in the Ingebritsen family
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

10. Collapse Details

Every time I see this thread title, gh's lack of spacing makes me read "St. Beatrice Chepkoech."

I'm not a religious man but the real Saint Beatrice doesn't seem to be either a steeplechaser or their patron saint.