Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Her arms are better, it looks like she is stronger and the over striding has been cut back a little bit and the first part of the cut back is the most valuable. Actually similar things have been occurring for Hassan, which is why a very good distance runner has turned it up a notch. Whoever takes over for her needs to keep those improvements going. In Des Moines I talked with Alberto a bit and he spoke about the progress so far and how that lays the groundwork for some more improvements next year. [we were staying in the same hotel and were walking on adjoining treadmills]

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Obiri 58.5

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Obiri 58.5
    Dumb. Just dumb.

That was an unbelievably gusty last lap by all three. I love how they pushed each other.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

4. Collapse Details

Klosterhalfen made the right choice of event! She wasn't going to medal in that mega-fast 1500m!

5. Collapse Details

Schweizer knocks another seven seconds off her PB with 14:45.18 and jumps to #5 American all time.

Congrats to KK on the medal.

6. Collapse Details

Almost everyone got a PB. That is what he hoped for in a championship.

7. Collapse Details

Well done to Kiwi Camille Buscomb who got two 12th places in the 5 and 10k this week - as well as three PB's and two Olympic qualifiers.

8. Collapse Details

Hmm, I guess my reaction was different than most here. When it became clear Klosterhalfen was not going to push the pace early, or failing that, at least put the hammer down from 1600m or farther out, to try and take the sting out of Obiri, my heart sank. Because she was the only hope for the race not to turn into another boring championship sit-and-kick for the medals, since no one else was going to do so, if not her. And with her teammate Hassan having lit the stadium up a little earlier with the completion of her historic 10,000m/1,500m double, you'd have thought that might have provided extra fuel to the fire.

Another thing, Klosterhalfen was not doubling back from another event except the heats (with her heat run 10 seconds slower than Obiri's). Obiri had the 10,000m in her legs, though, and afterward apparently said she was feeling the effects of her overlong year (at least if her saying this wasn't subterfuge). So Klosterhalfen should have had at least somewhat fresher legs than Obiri. True, the race wasn't a jogfest either, with finishing times for the top finishers in the high 14:20s, still...

Much more interesting, at least looking over finishing times, were the PBs of those farther back in the pack, such as Schweizer (new 7-second PB, after a 9-second PB already in the heats), and Purrier a 10-second PB after roughly equaling her previous PB in the semis. Similarly on down the line in fact, Klosterhalfen was among only four athletes (including Obiri) who <i>didn't</i> PB.

Of course, the way races are typically televised, as this one was, we got to see little of any of that with the camera mainly focused on the top placers. Guess one can't have everything, plenty of other exciting races, but the 5000m medalists' race turned into a dud from where I sit.

9. Collapse Details

When Helen Obiri decides she is going to win a race, she is a force of nature. Lead basically every step of the race.

10. Collapse Details

Playing devil's advocate to my post just above, Klosterhalfen's kick is much better this year. She may have felt with Obiri at less than her full powers from mid-season on, especially given Obiri's lackluster showing in the WC 10,000m, she liked her odds better taking a chance on outkicking Obiri more than serving as de-facto race rabbit, even if from, say, 3 to 5 laps out rather than as early front-runner.

And it could be she also assessed her own fitness at not yet at the level where she'd want to try to run away from even a compromised Obiri in a sustained drive some ways from the finish. Because Obiri is good at that very tactic herself.

With Tokyo on the horizon, it will be interesting to see how much Klosterhalfen continues to develop next year, and if the equation for her might be different next time around.