Facts, Not Fiction

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Collapse Details

KK training may be much affected by the NOP case. Also Hassan (and Brazier, ..., although Salazar is not the main guy for most of them).

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Country Mile View Post
    Playing devil's advocate to my post just above, Klosterhalfen's kick is much better this year. She may have felt with Obiri at less than her full powers from mid-season on, especially given Obiri's lackluster showing in the WC 10,000m, she liked her odds better taking a chance on outkicking Obiri more than serving as de-facto race rabbit, even if from, say, 3 to 5 laps out rather than as early front-runner.

And it could be she also assessed her own fitness at not yet at the level where she'd want to try to run away from even a compromised Obiri in a sustained drive some ways from the finish. Because Obiri is good at that very tactic herself.
    Here are the last 400 splits for the top 3.

Obiri (14.64 14.21 14.47 15.09)
    Kipkemboi (14.65 14.28 14.84 15.23)
    Klosterfalfen (14.69 14.20 14.78 16.35)

Klosterfalfen could keep up with Obiri in the first 200 (4600-4800), but was left behind in the last 200, especially in the last 100. And it's not the case that Obiri picked up the pace, she was slowing down. But Klosterfalfen slowed down even more. Her problem was not she could not match Obiri's top end speed, but her inability to sustain that speed.

Obiri slowed down from 3500 to 4000. (Each split over 18 sec.) This could have been an opportunity for Klosterfalfen to take control of the race. But if she had, I think she would have got passed by Obiri anyway.

3. Collapse Details

The last 100 may overstate the slowdown for each of those three because they were free and clear at the finish.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Country Mile View Post
    Much more interesting, at least looking over finishing times, were the PBs of those farther back in the pack, such as Schweizer (new 7-second PB, after a 9-second PB already in the heats), and Purrier a 10-second PB after roughly equaling her previous PB in the semis. Similarly on down the line in fact, Klosterhalfen was among only four athletes (including Obiri) who <i>didn't</i> PB.
    Obiri set a near-perfect pace for getting ~14:40 PBs; Kipkemboi, Gemechu, Rengeruk, Worku, Weightman, Schweizer, McColgan and Purrier to take her out to dinner!

Of course, the way races are typically televised, as this one was, we got to see little of any of that with the camera mainly focused on the top placers. Guess one can't have everything, plenty of other exciting races, but the 5000m medalists' race turned into a dud from where I sit.
    Yeah, to really absorb the race you have to be there, so you can see what you want to see, not what the director shows you. OTOH, at least we saw the whole race, albeit sometimes in a small window (NBC Gold).
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kritzler View Post
    When Helen Obiri decides she is going to win a race, she is a force of nature. Lead basically every step of the race.
    I guess she didn't decide to win the 10,000. >:-)
    But, she certainly decided to win the world cross!
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank