Facts, Not Fiction

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    McLaughlin just misses in lane 3
    Misses it by one lane, I guess She was in lane 4.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

I thought McLaughlin was in lane 4.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    If Mclaughlin hurdles like Muhammad, she will smash the 52s barrier easily.

Both of them MUST run the 4x400. Screw Felix.
    open 400 ~52 over hurdles vs ~52 with no hurdles; seems like an easy choice

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    trivia: lane 6 record for Muhammad, but McLaughlin just misses in lane 4
    edited to fix early-morning finger clumsiness

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    I'd say that's pretty typical for a 20 year old.
    Not remotely related. The apt comparison is for the three years following her first Olympic appearance. Most 17-year olds are not within a little bit of the world record.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bowie View Post
    Syd had improved her flat speed since leaving University of Kentucky, but her hurdling technique has suffered. The phenomenon of hurdlers leaving coach Floreal is not a new one. I cannot help but think that had Syd stayed with that guy she would be on top right now rather than second best. There is no telling what heights she can reach with some better technique. Unlimited potential. I would think a full second could be shaved from today's PR. P. S. She has developed into a brilliant speaker in post race interviews and is a very poised young woman for her age and experience. She is a pleasure to listen to.
    Amen! It could be that the increase in speed has adversely impacted the hurdling form. But I would have loved to see her stay with Flo at least a bit longer. Preferably in Lexington.........

7. Collapse Details

Normally, the top American 400 hurdlers don't get a chance to demonstrate their flat speed when they're in peak form because they haven't been chosen for relay duty recently. The last athletes I recall who were a regular part of the relay pool were Angelo Taylor and Lashinda Demus. I'm glad we have three 400 hurdlers (McLaughlin, Muhammad and Rai Benjamin) back in the mix to provide more data points, and remember, Benjamin and McLaughlin ran on relays last year when they were in CR form at conderence and NCAA's.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    It could be that the increase in speed has adversely impacted the hurdling form.
    I hadn't thought about this. What if she's faster than last year, but not quite fast enough for a 14-step pattern at the beginning of the race?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    I hadn't thought about this. What if she's faster than last year, but not quite fast enough for a 14-step pattern at the beginning of the race?
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with SM's hurdle form. As discussed before, when you're young, it's a constant adjustment to approach each hurdle with utmost efficacy.

SM was going faster than ever before, but the problem was not the speed she carried; it was the steps she took to achieve that speed. Each hurdle presented itself to her with a new and 'exciting' difference: her stride was different.

Moses was the GOAT because he had a perfect 13-strides every race. Unto SM settles into a stride pattern at 52-low, as DM has, she will continue to 'look' awkward, but in actuality, she is improving by leaps and bounds (pun?!)

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with SM's hurdle form. As discussed before, when you're young, it's a constant adjustment to approach each hurdle with utmost efficacy.

SM was going faster than ever before, but the problem was not the speed she carried; it was the steps she took to achieve that speed. Each hurdle presented itself to her with a new and 'exciting' difference: her stride was different.

Moses was the GOAT because he had a perfect 13-strides every race. Unto SM settles into a stride pattern at 52-low, as DM has, she will continue to 'look' awkward, but in actuality, she is improving by leaps and bounds (pun?!)
    So essentially what youíre saying is.....if she had perfected her stride pattern between the hurdles, her form would look as good as Muhammadís??