Facts, Not Fiction

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    all this criticism of SM technique is certainly well founded. I know that by 2 months after ceasing to be a teenager I had everything in my life perfectly ducked in a row :-)
    Their progressions are listed in athlete profile on IAAF site. Muhammad's marks start in 2005, McLaughlin's in 2014. McLaughlin has been hurdling all of FIVE years of her life, Muhammad for 14 years. It makes no sense to be critical of McLaughin's technique - if it was as good as Muhammad's at this stage of the game, the future would be dull indeed.

Warholm's been hurdling for 7 years, Benjamin for 6, Samba .....omg, 2 years.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 10-05-2019 at 01:47 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    From a lot of the comments on here, Syd has a lot of room to improve over the hurdles, and some fine tuning to do with her stride. Heaven help the rest of the world when she and Joanna sort all of that out. Go Big Blue!
    Agreed. Maybe well see a sub 51. Fun fact, every year shes hurdled shes PRd. Literally, year on year PR. Hope to see her on the relay.

3. Collapse Details

I think critiques of SM technique relate to her potential and what she WILL be capable of. No one is saying she should be perfect right now or she should be exactly like Muhammad is right now. I dont expect her to be perfect next year, or even 2021. But as years go on and she becomes a better hurdler and a faster runner, she will likely be more than amazing.

But were all fans, some even coaches, watching a race between two runners that came down to the wire. It makes sense to discuss the various reasons why one person won and the other didn't. Experience is not the only reason.

4. Collapse Details

My unofficial touchdown Times for Dalilah: 6.08 3.94 4.13 4.23 4.43 4.50
    4.49 4.63 4.80 5.20 5.73. =52.16 WR

Got out very fast to the first 2 Hurdles. And settled into her stride.
    Hurdles 5-8 remarkably close grouping: she really worked the third 100
    Started to slow between huddle 9 and 10,
    Maintained good running form to the wire.
    Wasn't a photo finish by any means.

As for McLaughlin's form over the hurdles, as stated above she is not as smooth with her left leg lead. She is tall enough to step over these hurdles, and when she does her air time will go down along with her Times. I will climb out on that limb and declare she will be the World record holder someday soon.

Congrats to Dalilah, well done. And I hope you both run the 4x4!

5. Collapse Details

all this criticism of SM technique is certainly well founded. I know that by 2 months after ceasing to be a teenager I had everything in my life perfectly ducked in a row :-)
    Exactly. She did a superb job, finishing 0.03 off the previous WR. Can't we enjoy both of their efforts, giving both their full due?

6. Collapse Details

SM was cutting down her strides into takeoff as early as H2 (apparently so she could stay with her right lead) from what I could see in the video. DM is so efficient barely breaking stride.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Exactly. She did a superb job, finishing 0.03 off the previous WR...?
    and to put it another way, if there were no Muhammad, she'd be the WR holder

8. Collapse Details

and to put it another way, if there were no Muhammad, she'd be the WR holder
    Debatable. I think both of them needed each other to run as fast as they did this year. McLaughlin definitely ran harder trying to catch Muhammad down the straight and Muhammad said in post race interviews she felt McLaughlin pulling up on her inside.
    I also don't think Muhammad would have run the 52.20 without mentally knowing what she was up against at USA's

9. Collapse Details

Fantastic race!
    Last edited by Fortius19; 10-05-2019 at 05:04 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Just saw the clip! I thought Gunnel/Farmer Patrick '93 and Batten/Buford '95 was epic. But this is incredible.

I always thought Sally Gunnel was the best hurdler I ever saw, because she had the perfect form, and never broke it. But Muhammad is much more picture perfect with a strength Gunnel never had! Syd stuttered on hurdles 5 and 8. That was the difference!