Facts, Not Fiction

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Now I have a question. Can someone tell me why McLaughlin was lined up a foot behind the starting line?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGEnMyDW...jpg&name=small
    There are no strings on me

2. Collapse Details

Watching this over and over, McLaughlin really does have a lot to improve upon. Of course she improved her PB by half a second, but I'm actually convinced she would have been much closer to 52.0x in a cleaner race. Hurdle 8 is most notable issue, but in general she seems to just be way less efficient over the hurdles compared to Muhammad. Down the straight it seems as if she was jumping and floating in the air, while Muhammad was hurdling and getting right back down into her running.

Ofcourse Muhammad will maybe improve again next year as well, but McLaughlin will push her and I think from 2021 to at least 2028 (barring injury) everyone will be running for silver/bronze.
    Last edited by ATK; 10-05-2019 at 12:05 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Now I have a question. Can someone tell me why McLaughlin was lined up a foot behind the starting line?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EGEnMyDW...jpg&name=small
    That is strange. She lined up the same way in the semi and heat.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    The only thing I can figure is it's related to her approach to the first hurdle. But giving away a foot in a race that was always going to be close doesnt seem very prudent.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wamego relays champ View Post
    She always has comparative problems with the early hurdles. Finally she figured out to line up a foot behind the line. That enables perfect stride to the first hurdle. It was excellent again today.

But then she gets into problems because her stride length does not match the gap between hurdles perfectly. Consequently she semi-chops on 2 and 3 all the time. Again, it played out that way today enabling Muhammad to gain an advantage.

There is no question that Muhammad's stride length is more efficient and also her launch angle over the hurdles. That enables her to overcome Sydney's small edge in raw speed.

I always believe in margin for error. That means getting to the lead. Comebacks are for suckers the higher the level. Once Muhammad had a decisive advantage it looked all but over. Sydney needs to learn she can't rely on rallies at this level, especially against someone of Muhammad's caliber.

Sydney's minor opportunity faded away when she got out of sync on 8 and had to not only jump left legged but with a severely bent knee. She had been terrific -- per norm -- on 6 and 7 so that 8th hurdle is what is going to nag at her regarding this race. Her form almost always improves sharply during the second half of the race.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Watching this over and over, McLaughlin really does have a lot to improve upon. Of course she improved her PB by half a second, but I'm actually convinced she would have been much closer to 52.0x in a cleaner race. Hurdle 8 is most notable issue, but in general she seems to just be way less efficient over the hurdles compared to Muhammad. Down the straight it seems as if she was jumping and floating in the air, while Muhammad was hurdling and getting right back down into her running.

Ofcourse Muhammad will maybe improve again next year as well, but McLaughlin will push her and I think from 2021 to at least 2028 (barring injury) everyone will be running for silver/bronze.
    Agree completely.

If I was Joanna Hayes, I’d have a video edited with a side by side of SM & DM going over hurdles. To highlight the distinction between the two. Then simply ask, do you think that was worth .07 tenths in a race?? Lol.

Too much air in general for SM. And even worse when she leads with the left leg.

But even with her need to improve her hurdling efficiency...if she has a clean 8th hurdle, with a smooth clearance by her standards....she has enough to nip Muhammad at the line.
    Last edited by _Jay; 10-05-2019 at 12:52 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    all this criticism of SM technique is certainly well founded. I know that by 2 months after ceasing to be a teenager I had everything in my life perfectly ducked in a row :-)

8. Collapse Details

Frankly I think it's more criticism of Hayes than McLaughlin. It's her job to iron out the technical kinks. I mean giving up a foot at the start is the answer to 1st hurdle approach issues? Cmon man!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    all this criticism of SM technique is certainly well founded. I know that by 2 months after ceasing to be a teenager I had everything in my life perfectly ducked in a row :-)
    More post race analysis. Plus, constructive criticism is good for everyone

10. Collapse Details

From a lot of the comments on here, Syd has a lot of room to improve over the hurdles, and some fine tuning to do with her stride. Heaven help the rest of the world when she and Joanna sort all of that out. Go Big Blue!