Facts, Not Fiction

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    With all due respect, is your #1 priority here really winning the gold medal? "Fairness", equity or "grooming the new generation" are all important but NOT at the cost of winning the gold. We are dealing with committed, professional athletes here & not children who will be crestfallen if they miss the big game. If Jamaica wasnt such a serious threat for the gold then that would be a bigger consideration in my view.
    As I read AFelixFan's post, it seems he mentions this not as a way of deciding the team, but extra justification (Besides times/talent) for NOT putting Felix on the team just because of her name.

And if AFelixFan is not rooting for Felix, you know he/she's gotta have a darn good reason not to...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    I just find it a bit strange to have someone walk away with two golds from essentially the same event at the same championships. That's a big part of the reason I think Okolo and Felix should be benched (as well as all the other mixed 4x4 participants).

A bigger reason is that Francis and Jonathas both look to be in sub-50 shape, and I think McLaughlin and Muhammad shouldn't be far from that either. That's a solid, gold-medal-ready team, with decent experience behind it. Francis ran in the Rio 2016 final, and anchored the London 2017 team. I think Jonathas should have some decent collegiate relay experience, and I've seen McLaughlin run some impressive legs for the University of Kentucky. I think Muhammad is poised enough to handle herself in a high-pressure relay.

Certainly experience is important, but I think it's also necessary to give the younger athletes a chance, particularly if they've proved recent fitness. Felix, unfortunately, won't be around forever, so it's wise to start grooming the new generation.
    I think the most likely Final lineup IS a combo of Jonathas, Francis, Muhammad & SM.

But the final foursome typically don’t run the heats...which is where Okolo/Felix come into play.

Especially when the other four ladies will be coming off Finals in their events and you’ll want to have them as fresh for the Final as possible.
    Last edited by _Jay; 10-03-2019 at 12:27 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Who will run for the US? Plenty of options but only 6 names can go on the relay entry.
    (Unlike the Mixed 4x4 where the entire team could be changed: that would ease the selection process for the US coaches). How will the final four be determined? In the recent past, If I recall correctly (and it won't take long for a correction to be posted). The decision of the final four has been informed by how the 4 prelim round runners perform - often without telling the team that their split would be a decisive factor. So the anchor with a lead who smartly saves energy and runs just hard enough to qualify, MAY find that her
    split keeps her out of the final.
    Not a good way for selecting a relay team. It is hard to argue that Felix would not bring attention to this event as she did in the mixed 4x4, but the dismal press coverage, poor attendance might suggest that would make no difference. It can be argued, as FelixFan does, that the younger up and coming talent deserves their shot.
    Hard to disagree.
    My hope would be that all potential runners know how the selection will be determined and when.....injuries happen, colds happen, etc.... but keeping everyone in the dark, including fans, does not generate new interest in a more and more marginal sport.

USATF misses a golden opportunity for good publicity by not issuing press releases about the Relays at these global events. Four relays with lots of star power and not a peep to stir
    Interest in the teams' makeups or potential.

4. Collapse Details

Two Poles in the individual final may not be the best news for our relay. Too many hard races for Baumgart and Święty, plus they'll most probably run the relay heats with two alternates, which is a bit of a risk in itself.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Two Poles in the individual final may not be the best news for our relay. Too many hard races for Baumgart and Święty, plus they'll most probably run the relay heats with two alternates, which is a bit of a risk in itself.
    If Baumgart was fit enough to make the final she was fit enough to run better than she did in the mixed 4x400. Could it be that she's not good at time-trialing?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    If Baumgart was fit enough to make the final she was fit enough to run better than she did in the mixed 4x400. Could it be that she's not good at time-trialing?
    Like I commented on the mixed relay thread, running blind was not conducive to a fast split. I'm sure she can run faster than that in the w4x4 final. But still, she and Święty will be tired.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Many women have run super fast 'blind' when in the lead, it just looks like it's not something Baumgart is able to do, she's better at chasing.

The hard races will certainly have an impact on the POL team. It's an opportunity for GBR to take them out :-)

After the w400m final, it's clear Jonathas and Francis should start in the w4x4 final, they have peaked brilliant. I think the selectors should and will also run McLaughlin, but I do wonder whether Muhammad will be overlooked for Okolo or Felix. Okolo deserves to be in the 4x4 final based on her great sub 50 run in the mixed. But will they just put her in the heats and then replace her in the final?

8. Collapse Details

Any confirmation yet of the two greatest 400 hurdlers of all time being on the relay?

Have they been asked in interviews?

Hoping the Us coaches don’t mess this up and we get: Jonathas - SM - DM - Francis.

American Record On alert...
    Last edited by _Jay; 10-04-2019 at 11:53 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Looking at the splits done by the US team in Seoul -

Denean Hill 49.82
    Diane Dixon 49.17
    Valerie Brisco 48.44
    Florence Griffith-Joyner 48.08

I can see Jonathas and Francis keeping them maybe 0.3 ahead of that pace for the first 2 legs, and Muhammad still keeping it close after 3 legs, but no, SM is not running 48 flat on the last leg. Which means no AR, let alone the WR.
    Last edited by trackCanuck; 10-05-2019 at 12:07 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Yea that anchor from FloJo just complicates things for any record attempt. I think 2012 was the most recent time US had a fit enough team to challenge the record, but even the couldn't put it together. And none of these ladies are in Felix relay shape or SRR open 400 shape. I think we see them run 3:18 mid/low