Facts, Not Fiction

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Again, I do not think that the above listed splits are accurate. The 'official' splits have 49.51/49.78/49.43/50.20 So Francis got a new "PR" and almost had the fastest split. I had gotten the split at 49.6 but that is a not highly reliable, since it relies on my eye getting the mark on the track matched with the baton and the running clock being reliable.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    I keep telling you, those "official" splits are by defintion bogus for the first 2 legs. Always have been, always will be. Those are eyebeam stop when the first runner crosses the start line, not the hand-off line. The first two US legs are more like 50.6 and 48.8.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I keep telling you, those "official" splits are by defintion bogus for the first 2 legs. Always have been, always will be. Those are eyebeam stop when the first runner crosses the start line, not the hand-off line.
    That's not strictly true. Seiko takes the splits at the start line, but then they use a formula to approximate the time it takes to run the remaining distance to the hand-off line. Thus a fast finisher's split will be overestimated, and vice versa (and the potential error gets larger the further you go to the outside of the track).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    That's not strictly true. Seiko takes the splits at the start line, but then they use a formula to approximate the time it takes to run the remaining distance to the hand-off line. Thus a fast finisher's split will be overestimated, and vice versa (and the potential error gets larger the further you go to the outside of the track).
    relative to the U.S> in this instance, which is what we're talking about, it's 100% true. We're not talking about the by-leg 10th-second splits which Seiko will later release for all teams, we're talking about what you see if you look at the official results page, where leader splits are given as 49.51 and 1:39.29.

5. Collapse Details

I expected more from Jonathas. Maybe she's one if those people who can't time trial.

6. Collapse Details

relative to the U.S> in this instance, which is what we're talking about, it's 100% true. We're not talking about the by-leg 10th-second splits which Seiko will later release for all teams, we're talking about what you see if you look at the official results page, where leader splits are given as 49.51 and 1:39.29.
    Oh, ok then. I thought you were talking about the Seiko splits.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    well, they're all Seiko splits, but the 100th-second ones are eyebeams that are in the wrong place at first handoff, and 10th-second ones are transponder driven

8. Collapse Details

Anyway, it looks like Jamaica got reinstated, so maybe it was the officials who screwed up the order in the exchange zone.

9. Collapse Details

I keep telling you, those "official" splits are by defintion bogus for the first 2 legs. Always have been, always will be. Those are eyebeam stop when the first runner crosses the start line, not the hand-off line. The first two US legs are more like 50.6 and 48.8.
    Aye. The midzone at the first 4x400 exchange is always the 800 starting line in each lane.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Anyway, it looks like Jamaica got reinstated, so maybe it was the officials who screwed up the order in the exchange zone.
    or was Jamaica ahead w/ 200 to go?