Facts, Not Fiction

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Ellis certainly should not be on any 4x4

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by _Jay View Post
    Based on the early 400 Heats... (assuming SM & DM are still in 52 shape)

Top 4 candidates should be

Francis, McLaughlin, Jonathan, Muhammad. (Felix & Okolo can run the heats).

If they switch out Jonathan per experience w/Felix or Okolo id understand.
    But if Jonathan is running PR’s at low 50 or better I can’t see them keeping her off.

However you slice it up, I think that’s a GOLD medal squad.

Francis looks like she may be in 49 shape and will contend for a medal imo.

EDIT: Didn’t realize Wimbley was still in the picture. She’s definitely added to the potential group.
    Agree... any way you slice it at this point, the favorite for gold and ... how about the time? Can they do 3:18.5 or better?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Agree... any way you slice it at this point, the favorite for gold and ... how about the time? Can they do 3:18.5 or better?
    Possibly...I think it’s within reach

And probably have a few different ways to get there.

Jonathan 50.3
    SM 49.0
    Muhammad 49.8
    Francis 49.4

=3:18.5 (wouldn’t be surprised at all to see that.)

4. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    If Jonathan makes the open 400 final there's no doubt she will make the final 4x4 lineup, bumping Wimbley after her unfortunate DQ. The only question then is does Richburg bump Muhammad - who has certainly shown she's deserving - for Felix.
    There are no strings on me

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    If Jonathan makes the open 400 final there's no doubt she will make the final 4x4 lineup, bumping Wimbley after her unfortunate DQ. The only question then is does Richburg bump Muhammad - who has certainly shown she's deserving - for Felix.
    Not necessarily true. Remember 2015 when Francis was a new pro and made the final over Hastings, yet only ran the heats of the 4x4. Also Wimbley was reinstated in the 400m.

6. Collapse Details

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogery- chwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    Not necessarily true. Remember 2015 when Francis was a new pro and made the final over Hastings, yet only ran the heats of the 4x4.
    Almost a carbon copy of this year, when Richards-Ross was gifted a relay slot on reputation. And we all know how THAT turned out.

Also Wimbley was reinstated in the 400m.
    I missed that. Good. If all three make the final that SHOULD take the drama out of the relay selections. Key word being should...
    There are no strings on me

7. Collapse Details

I don't understand why Wimbley wouldn't be on the relay whether she was dq'd or not.

8. Collapse Details

I actually don't think either Okolo or Felix should be on the relay. The women in the open 400 are more than capable, and with the added firepower of McLaughlin and Muhammad, the team looks set for gold.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AFelixFan View Post
    I actually don't think either Okolo or Felix should be on the relay. The women in the open 400 are more than capable, and with the added firepower of McLaughlin and Muhammad, the team looks set for gold.
    Okolo & Felix strengthened their case by their performances on the world record-setting Mixed 4x400 Relay team. Courtney burned a 49.9 on her leg & Allyson ran 50.4 on hers. I'm all for having the best possible team to win the gold and that could mean using the runners who are the hottest competitors NOW, rather than someone who qualified 3 MONTHS ago in the US Championships.

Though the US women are FAVORED over Jamaica on paper, anything can happen on the track and we need to guard against that possible. As an Allyson Felix fan you cannot deny her vast level of international experience (this is her 9th World Championships). Younger, less-experienced runners could me more vulnerable to the pressure of the bright lights.

A vast pool of talent among female US 400-runners/hurdlers is clearly a VERY GOOD "problem" to have.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    Okolo & Felix strengthened their case by their performances on the world record-setting Mixed 4x400 Relay team. Courtney burned a 49.9 on her leg & Allyson ran 50.4 on hers. I'm all for having the best possible team to win the gold and that could mean using the runners who are the hottest competitors NOW, rather than someone who qualified 3 MONTHS ago in the US Championships.

Though the US women are FAVORED over Jamaica on paper, anything can happen on the track and we need to guard against that possible. As an Allyson Felix fan you cannot deny her vast level of international experience (this is her 9th World Championships). Younger, less-experienced runners could me more vulnerable to the pressure of the bright lights.

A vast pool of talent among female US 400-runners/hurdlers is clearly a VERY GOOD "problem" to have.
    I just find it a bit strange to have someone walk away with two golds from essentially the same event at the same championships. That's a big part of the reason I think Okolo and Felix should be benched (as well as all the other mixed 4x4 participants).

A bigger reason is that Francis and Jonathas both look to be in sub-50 shape, and I think McLaughlin and Muhammad shouldn't be far from that either. That's a solid, gold-medal-ready team, with decent experience behind it. Francis ran in the Rio 2016 final, and anchored the London 2017 team. I think Jonathas should have some decent collegiate relay experience, and I've seen McLaughlin run some impressive legs for the University of Kentucky. I think Muhammad is poised enough to handle herself in a high-pressure relay.

Certainly experience is important, but I think it's also necessary to give the younger athletes a chance, particularly if they've proved recent fitness. Felix, unfortunately, won't be around forever, so it's wise to start grooming the new generation.