Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    It looks like Poland should have used Wyciszkiewicz in the mixed relay instead of Baumgart.
    It looks like it in retrospect, but it was hard to predict Wyciszkiewicz would be running this well. She's always been a great relay runner and she ran fast at World Relays at this year, but then she had some health issues, started the proper season very late and didn't look too good (SB of just 52.63).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

I am obviously smitten by SM's talent, but I have the utmost regard for DM, her season, and esp. successive WRs!!

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    one thing the Doha result did was confirm how far away the WR is: that pretty good foursome would have had to average 0.94 faster per leg to break it.

4. Collapse Details

Indeed. The chances of getting four athletes of that level from one country at the same time are pretty much out there. Bahrain would have to offer SMU, Sherika Jackson and SM $50m each to switch nationality and then we are well in the zone.

5. Collapse Details

I think the U.S. is halfway there right now with Francis and McLaughlin, who I think are capable of leading off with 1:38.0. The problem is finding two other runners to close out in 1:37.1.

6. Collapse Details

I think the U.S. is halfway there right now with Francis and McLaughlin, who I think are capable of leading off with 1:38.0. The problem is finding two other runners to close out in 1:37.1.
    Jonathas is #3. She had a very long season and beat Francis in the final. The issue at hand is having enough competition to keep everyone running hard. Tough to run for a record when you should be running for gold.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by booond View Post
    Jonathas is #3. She had a very long season and beat Francis in the final. The issue at hand is having enough competition to keep everyone running hard. Tough to run for a record when you should be running for gold.
    I agree that competition helps, but many 4x400 CR's and WR's have been set without competition, but the last two runners have to be in this mindset before the gun is fired. I was at the 2004 Texas Relays when the Texas women set the CR and when Sanya Richards anchored, she continued to pour on the coal despite being 5 seconds clear of the next team.

As for Jonathas, perhaps she's not suited for time-trialing, in which case needs to be on one of the first two legs in any serious record attempt.

8. Collapse Details

Administrator

As for Jonathas, perhaps she's not suited for time-trialing, in which case needs to be on one of the first two legs in any serious record attempt.
    methinks you're being a tad unfair to Jonathas: she had one job, which was "don't screw up a sure win" and she did it perfectly, not giving up an inch to any of those chasing her.

Why risk a catastrophic blowup when winning was job 1, not trying to run a faster time that would have zero significance in the record department?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    methinks you're being a tad unfair to Jonathas: she had one job, which was "don't screw up a sure win" and she did it perfectly, not giving up an inch to any of those chasing her.

Why risk a catastrophic blowup when winning was job 1, not trying to run a faster time that would have zero significance in the record department?
    You're right and I conceded that point in an earlier post. Running a fast time may have been the furthest thing from her mind. Back in 2007, Sanya Richards admitted running conservatively for that very reason.

10. Collapse Details

I dont think any current combination of ladies are capable of the American Record, but I think this team was good and could be kept together in the same order next year and hit 3:16 in Tokyo.