Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Yep, she was clearly in 7.4 form, if she could hit the board right.

Her speed this year has been one of the contributing factors in her improvement. Shes also much stronger. Daryl Neita, the anchor for the GBR 4x1, was beaten by Mihambo (just about!) over 100m this season, to underline her form this year.
    After Pinto's injury, GER should have drafted Mihambo into the 4x100, she was willing, and could have slotted in on either the easier first or last legs (with just one hand off). I'm sure she still would have won the LJ easily

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Yep, she was clearly in 7.4 form, if she could hit the board right.

Her speed this year has been one of the contributing factors in her improvement. Shes also much stronger. Daryl Neita, the anchor for the GBR 4x1, was beaten by Mihambo (just about!) over 100m this season, to underline her form this year.
    After Pinto's injury, GER should have drafted Mihambo into the 4x100, she was willing, and could have slotted in on either the easier first or last legs (with just one hand off). I'm sure she still would have won the LJ easily
    She actually started the speed work two years ago after she suffered an edema. Because of the injury she couldn't achieve the same take-off angle as before. To make up for this, her coach focused on improving her speed, which is now paying off big time because she has the speed and the old take-off. Earlier this year she did say that she wants to do more specific sprint training for 2020 and possibly compete over 100, LJ and the German 4x1 in Tokyo. It wouldn't have made sense to put her in the relay in Doha, she had no relay training.

3. Collapse Details

I don't see how it would make sense for her to actually compete in the 100 in Tokyo. The 4x1 is another thing; the Germans may have a shot at a medal there.

4. Collapse Details

Depends on how fast she can get. She ran that 11.21 this year without any specific sprint training. After the German championships she said there was room for improvement in the LJ because they hadn't done any actual speed work in training. Based on that i think she was quite a bit faster in Doha than she was in August when she ran that 11.21.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by norunner View Post
    Depends on how fast she can get. She ran that 11.21 this year without any specific sprint training. After the German championships she said there was room for improvement in the LJ because they hadn't done any actual speed work in training. Based on that i think she was quite a bit faster in Doha than she was in August when she ran that 11.21.
    Even if she somehow got to 11.0, at best she's have an outside shot at making the finał. Not really worth it when you're the oustanding favorite in another event.

6. Collapse Details

In Doha she would have been 4th fastest in the semis with 11.0. Besides, it doesn't have to be about winning, maybe she wants to do it for fun. I haven't looked at the Tokyo timetable, but if it's anything like Doha maybe she just doesn't want to be bored again for the first nine days.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Even if she somehow got to 11.0, at best she's have an outside shot at making the finał. Not really worth it when you're the oustanding favorite in another event.
    For me, it is not about what she could accomplish in the sprint, but how that speed would translate onto the runway.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    I do struggle with some of the IAAF reports. On the long jump, the IAAF wrote "Mihambo kicked of with a modest - by her standards - leap of 6.52 in round one" no mention of the fact that she was 40cm behind the board and it was a 6.9+ jump. Then "Mihambo fouled in the second round" Again, no mention of the fact that her 11cm foul landed around the 7.4 mark.

It's the kind of misleading reporting we expect from tabloids, not the IAAF.
    The most relevant thing about that first jump is not that it had a gross length of 6.90 but that the mark was short of qualifying. To think that the main point is how far it was in total completely misses the point of a report. And, even with 30cm added (you cannot go to zero for expected takeoff) it was her worst jump, probably my quite a bit, and thus was very modest by her standards. The 40cm short of the board is not really interesting in terms of how well she was jumping but that it showed that she was not dialed in - why, did the blowers cut in and out (even if they did, I think the wind readings were more stable across jumps than a typical meet).

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    The most relevant thing about that first jump is not that it had a gross length of 6.90 but that the mark was short of qualifying. To think that the main point is how far it was in total completely misses the point of a report. And, even with 30cm added (you cannot go to zero for expected takeoff) it was her worst jump, probably my quite a bit, and thus was very modest by her standards. The 40cm short of the board is not really interesting in terms of how well she was jumping but that it showed that she was not dialed in - why, did the blowers cut in and out (even if they did, I think the wind readings were more stable across jumps than a typical meet).
    Disagree with all the above. Of course the fact that she was 40cm off the board was important, as it meant if she could get her run up right on her next jump she wold jump in excess of 6.9. For those just reading the report and not able to watch, you could have easily assumed that her first jump was not far, whereas it was far, it just wasn't on the board! Same with the 2nd rd foul. The tone of the report should have been she was having run-up problems but was jumping far, so needed to get it right. Anyway...

Just viewed one of Torri Bowie's post qualification interviews. Interesting that she said the mindset of the LJ is very different to the sprints and more about competing against yourself rather than yoir competitors, and she wanted that this championships. She's had a bumpy couple of seasons these last two years, and I wonder how much her injuries, the incident at the track with SMU, the other incident re not being able to train etc have affected her mentally. It is clear that she has a lot of potential and unfinished business in the LJ. I do hope she continues with this event next season for Tokyo.

10. Collapse Details

If you are right, hitting 6.53 being 60cm behind the line would imply that the big point is the 60cm. I do not think that is how places are determined. Once she fouled in the second round nothing mattered more than it be greater than about 6.60.