Facts, Not Fiction

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Always so impressed with the determination of these multi athletes on the second day.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can someone describe how Annie Kunz was there as a fourth American? T&FN describes her as getting the "IAAF Challenge wildcard", but she certainly didn't place very high in Gotzis. None of the four got PRs, but they were all quite respectable.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    Did look like she got 30-40 extra points in the SP though. Irrelevant as far as this comp goes, but that would put her below Ennis-Hill.
    As far as I am concerned, she threw 13.86, that's what was measured. If anything the minimum it was would have been 13.5 (I thought 12.6) in which case she gained 24 pts on 13.5 to 13.86. No way was it 30-40 pts

3. Collapse Details

13.6 obvs not 12.6!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
    Always so impressed with the determination of these multi athletes on the second day.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can someone describe how Annie Kunz was there as a fourth American? T&FN describes her as getting the "IAAF Challenge wildcard", but she certainly didn't place very high in Gotzis. None of the four got PRs, but they were all quite respectable.
    The IAAF Combined Events Challenge is based on a bunch of different competitions, and counts the sum of the 3 best results from them. Very few athletes even had 3 results, Kunz was the best among those who did.

Doha counts towards the IAAF Combined Events Challenge, so a bunch of athletes who had 2 results before will overtake her in the final standings. I think Preiner gets the win.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks, I remember hearing about the multi-challenge, but I didn't know the details.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wiederganger View Post
    Slightly stroppy behaviour from Thiam, unnecessary fouling her first throw. KJT and the competition has got to her, as well as being unable to deliver what she can.
    Sad to see her retire from the JT early but shes thinking longterm. I hope she races and competes properly in the 800, not jog round last innoutaise 2:20

KJT has been brilliant here. Shes at PBs and SBs and held her head together. I'm really impressed. Shes heading for a score greater than any of Thiam's gold winning performances, which is significant
    Not that anybody cares but I always thought KJT was by far the best athlete in the event. I'm really happy for her and hoping she's one of those that once they have a major breakout performance they go on to do special things.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tvarish View Post
    Not that anybody cares but I always thought KJT was by far the best athlete in the event. I'm really happy for her and hoping she's one of those that once they have a major breakout performance they go on to do special things.
    She just exceeded (my) expectations in all 7 events and beat her PB by over 100 points. Next year she'll be 27, which may not seem old, but most Heptathletes have had their PRs by then. Out of the top 15 today, only Broersen, Ahouanwanou and Voronina are older than her. While I'm happy to be wrong, this is mostly likely as good as she'll get. Having said that, her and Thiam re-matching next year should be great.

8. Collapse Details

I just hope KJT and Thiam are both injury free in Tokyo. Thiam has had some injuries this year and Kat has had some the previous few years so I hope they can both go into Tokyo in tip top shape and really face off.

9. Collapse Details

Kluft set her PB aged 24, as was Shouaa, Barber was 25. JJK and Ennis were 26, whilst Braun was 27, as was Paetz-John, Anke Behmer...but Dobrynska was 28. Kat can still PB next year for sure

10. Collapse Details

I thought it was great to see KJT finally starting to get a hurdles time reflective of her 200 meter speed.