Facts, Not Fiction

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Good point. You sometimes see people claiming it would be fairly easy for a 43 second runner to run 1:39. If that was the case why are so few of the world's many 45 second guys running 1:43, 46 second guys running 1:45 etc etc?
    The only races that really matter have rounds.
    Yep a sprinter can run up, but they can't run often.

And for a 400 m person, the sound of the bell is an off putter

2. Collapse Details

Nah..Gardiner would have beat him. Norman peaked in April, had a few great races after that but never came close to his 43.45 at Mt Sac. Gardiner was improving the entire summer and showed up healthy and in peak form. I dont know if it was bad luck, poor training or a combination of both, but Michael Norman was not going to run 43.3 in this race. I do think he will learn his lesson next year and win the gold in Tokyo. But despite all his fast times, he didnt win the US Nationals and was a no show at the WC 400 where it counted most.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 58Commander View Post
    Norman peaked in April
    No, he didn't.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Gardiner moved into the all-time top 10, in the process knocking Kirani James out of it.
    It really is amazing how this event changed so quickly. Angelo Taylor sat at #10 all time then, James in 2012 set things in motion as the first non American to run under 44 seconds. Since then, 7 non Americans (including James) have gone under every year 24 times. Taylor now sits down at #21 all time.

5. Collapse Details

Norman beaked in April
    Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    No, he didn't.
    When did he peak ?

6. Collapse Details

Administrator
    to answer gm's point of view, and I suspect correctly, he's saying that because of the adductor injury, Norman ever had the chnce to peak.

7. Collapse Details

To be fair to Gardiner, he ran his 43.4 after two rounds in less that optimal weather conditions. Norman on the other hand, ran his 43.4 at basically a 'home meet"

8. Collapse Details

Administrator
    all depends on how you define "optimal" perhaps.

79F/26C; humidity 61% sounds like pretty good dashing weather to me in Doha

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    all depends on how you define "optimal" perhaps.

79F/26C; humidity 61% sounds like pretty good dashing weather to me in Doha
    and the warm up track....
    bottom line, Norman did not have to fly 1/2 way around to world to run his 43.4. Both athletes will be contenders in what is the perhaps the most top heavy event in the sport with WVN, Kerley and Bloomfield hovering.

10. Collapse Details

Unfortunately its also becoming the most difficult event to compete and stay healthy. I don't think there is more than a 10% chance of seeing all these guys on the line in Tokyo. WVN hasn't run a real race since 2017, Norman didn't show up for the 2019 WC Final in Doha, Bloomfield wasn't in shape for a 3 round championship, Gardiner missed all of 2018 with injuries, Kirani has Graves disease.... Its part of the difficulty and the challenge of this event to show up healthy for the OG final peaking at just that moment to run the race of your life. Unfortunately this group in particular seems prone to injuries and other factors that make it tough to pick who will even be on the starting line in the Tokyo final. With that said, if they all appeared healthy and ready to go, it would be one of the great 400 races in a championship. I really hope we can get WVN back to challenge Gardiner, Norman and others.