Facts, Not Fiction

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wibblesWOO View Post
    Hoppels performance was positively freakily good when you look at his PBs. Acc to IAAF stats his PB in the 400m is 49.55 and his 1500m PB is 3.48 and mile over 4.20 wowee !!
    Not that this is an 800/Hoppel thread, but he's actually run 4:09 for the mile, according to TFRRS. Doesn't dabble too seriously in open races at other distances. He was a 1:49 guy in '16 in high school, then 1:48.52, 1:45.67 (big breakthrough) and 1:44.41 past three years. Great series of runs for him this week.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Well, this statement sure seems to qualify, at least at face value, don't you think?

esp. considering that the top two in most people's minds are Americans.
    Absolutely no, I do not think the statement does! Are you expecting everyone on here to predict USA wins? How boring and disingenuous that would be. It is a prediction and opinion topic about a global event surely you can make leeway for someone with a non USA will win viewpoint.

The majority said USA 1-2, I opined USA will not be 1-2 and that is considered anti-American.

3. Collapse Details

With the size of population, the endless College production line and other reasons the USA will continue to dominate in Track and Field for the indefinite future; there are some medals which were achieved as expected, some excellent USA surprises as medallists and a few disappointments ,just like other countries.
    One myth is scotched and that is the long season stuff for college and other USA athletes; considering many college athletes started so early and even some of the pros were running in spring i reckon the USA athletes are doing just fine.
    My personal view is that American athletes tend to show the mental strength needed at World level due a competitive nature brought about by USA unequal society. How noticeable it is that four countries, UK, France , Germany and Italy, combined population of 250 million, are hardly setting the track alight, although competing reasonably well in the field
    All true, but it is difficult to keep a lot of promising male talent in Athletics when the paychecks in other sports in the USA are so impressive.

4. Collapse Details
    2019 mWC 400: Kerley or Norman?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    The majority said USA 1-2, I opined USA will not be 1-2 and that is considered anti-American.
    The reason you are considered anti-American is because YESTERDAY you said something quite different. At the bottom of Page 5 (posted 10-01-2019 @10:31pm) you said:

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Yes, I know who i expect to win and since you wish to hear more than my saying it wont be a USA 1-2 i will say USA will not win!
    Anti means against or opposed to. Had you named the runner you expect to win then you would be pro-Gardiner or pro-James (or whatever athlete you named). Because you said "USA will not win" that is why so many folks see you as anti-American.

Even with the final narrowed to 8 men are you so disingenuous that you are still unwilling to tell us who you EXPECT to win the 400? I incorrectly predicted Michael Norman to win. I was clearly WRONG and am not ashamed to admit it. Is your ego so fragile that you are unwilling to do something as simple as predict a winner? Bruised egos mean nothing in real life.
    Last edited by Psyclone; 10-03-2019 at 12:09 AM. Reason: error

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    There has never been a sub-44 for 4th anywhere.

1 43.03 Wayde van Niekerk (South Africa) OG 16
    2 43.65 LaShawn Merritt (US) World Champs 15
    3 43.78 Kirani James (Grenada) World Champs 15
    4 44.01 Machel Cedenio (Trinidad) OG 16
    5 44.25 Karabo Sibanda (Botswana) OG 16
    6 44.36 Ali Khamis Abbas (Bahrain) OG 16
    7 44.45 Bralon Taplin (Grenada) OG 16
    8 44.61 Matthew Hudson-Smith (Great Britain) OG 16
    9 45.76 Devon Morris (Jamaica) World Champs 87
    Wow this shows how amazing the races in 2016 and to a lesser extent 2015 were. Does anyone know why there were 9 in the Rome World Champs?

6. Collapse Details

My personal view is that American athletes tend to show the mental strength needed at World level due a competitive nature brought about by USA unequal society. How noticeable it is that four countries, UK, France , Germany and Italy, combined population of 250 million, are hardly setting the track alight, although competing reasonably well in the field
    And Bolt was fast because he ate yams.

This is the worst conjecture Iíve read.

7. Collapse Details

Back to the event at hand, I was most impressed by Gardiner's semi. He and Kerley are set for a ding-dong battle, and I'm leaning towards the Bahamian

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    who else would/could have been installed as the fave?
    There is definitely a distinction between
    'Who should be the favorite?'
    and
    'Who do you think is going to win?'

By every metric, Wilson was the favorite, but individuals can disagree on who they think is going to win.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    The reason you are considered anti-American is because YESTERDAY you said something quite different. At the bottom of Page 5 (posted 10-01-2019 @10:31pm) you said:

Anti means against or opposed to. Had you named the runner you expect to win then you would be pro-Gardiner or pro-James (or whatever athlete you named). Because you said "USA will not win" that is why so many folks see you as anti-American.

Even with the final narrowed to 8 men are you so disingenuous that you are still unwilling to tell us who you EXPECT to win the 400? I incorrectly predicted Michael Norman to win. I was clearly WRONG and am not ashamed to admit it. Is your ego so fragile that you are unwilling to do something as simple as predict a winner? Bruised egos mean nothing in real life.
    I see where you are coming from now, however, rest assured I am neither anti-American or disingenuous. I simply said there wont be a USA 1-2 and you demanded I name the person who will prevent that. I choose not to, that in and of itself should not have then made you take the leap to labeling me anti-American, disingenuous and ego-fragile, however, that is your choice.
    Last edited by OneWay; 10-03-2019 at 05:12 AM.

10. Collapse Details

After watching the semis, I came away with two observations, first, both Gardner and Kerley looked to be in full cruise mode (So did Norman but that's a different story) and have a lot left in the tank for an epic final.
    Second, I always thought of James as one of the larger athletes, but he looked small next to Gardner. If WVK, were here, he would look like an absolute midget.

Either way, I expect an outstanding final, and whoever wins, the story will be great, whether it be how Gardner and Miller-Ubio raised the collective spirit of a country in devastation, or how Kerley rights the fortunes of a country having a disappointing WC with only wins in the 100-800, 110H, HT, TJ and PV so far.

Please Kerley, USA so desperately needs a win