Facts, Not Fiction

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Marine View Post
    I agree. I think he's the most talented of the bunch.
    Agreed. He is a different runner when he is healthy. He has lumbered the last few months.

While I was 'challenged mercilessly' to explain, its pretty obvious if you have an eye for it.

Have a look at his heat. He ran 'heavy". Have a look at the semi. he opened up a little - you can see it coming off the first turn - then he shut it off.

When he is well he is tall and lean with his technique. He hasn't run well for at least 4 months. I hope he can get it all under control.

2. Collapse Details

Well, I have been touting Gardiner for a while now. Today he delivered the performance. Timewise I felt he was headed for 43 mid last year before he got injured after running 43.87 and 43.99 on back to back weeks in Europe to open the season. Kudos to his coach for backing him off racing and opting to train instead. That was key. When I saw the 44.13 two weeks prior to Doha and not even looking like he broke a sweat I posted it here. That was a statement race and I knew he was ready.

Looking so effortless...what a run! Congrats to him.
    Last edited by scorpionking; 10-05-2019 at 02:29 PM.

3. Collapse Details

I know its early but.....Tokyo mens 400. Van Niekerk, Gardiner, Kirani, Norman, Kerley all in. I've given up on predictions because this event is too hyper competitive to give anyone that honor. Years ago, it was Wariner dominating, then Merritt beat him. Then Kirani shows up and just when I thought that Warinner/Merrit/Kirani would be a phenomenal matchup for the next few years, Van Niekerk appeasr on the scene and blows them all away. Then he goes AWOL and Norman looks unbeatable until Kerley says not so fast and just when it looked like those two were the future of the 400, Steven Gardiner quietly shows up and runs away from them all. I love this event. Nothing better than this.

4. Collapse Details

Administrator
    One thing could be better: breaking for the pole after the first curve for true head-to-head racing! (one of my longtime fantasies)

5. Collapse Details

That would be bedlam. Gardiner would have been in dead last at the break then passed them all like parked cars in the homestretch. At least one guy would be flat on his face per race

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    One thing could be better: breaking for the pole after the first curve for true head-to-head racing! (one of my longtime fantasies)
    Garry is there any rule that would prevent a meet director from doing this in a non-championship meet as a one-off? Someplace like Mt SAC?
    I suppose in a case like that the athletes would have to want to do it, otherwise they'd just pass on the invite.

7. Collapse Details

Administrator
    as the ratings go through the roof!

8. Collapse Details

Sounds like it would be mayhem and terribly dangerous.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Couldn't help but think back to that wild indoor 400 race (I believe in '69) with Evans, Smith, James et al! Was that the race where Warren Edmonson won it?

10. Collapse Details

Last time they allowed true head-to-head racing in the 400 at the Olympics, it didn't go particularly smoothly.