Facts, Not Fiction

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 58Commander View Post
    Unfortunately its also becoming the most difficult event to compete and stay healthy. I don't think there is more than a 10% chance of seeing all these guys on the line in Tokyo. WVN hasn't run a real race since 2017, Norman didn't show up for the 2019 WC Final in Doha, Bloomfield wasn't in shape for a 3 round championship, Gardiner missed all of 2018 with injuries, Kirani has Graves disease.... Its part of the difficulty and the challenge of this event to show up healthy for the OG final peaking at just that moment to run the race of your life. Unfortunately this group in particular seems prone to injuries and other factors that make it tough to pick who will even be on the starting line in the Tokyo final. With that said, if they all appeared healthy and ready to go, it would be one of the great 400 races in a championship. I really hope we can get WVN back to challenge Gardiner, Norman and others.
    Spot on. Not many athletes get two Olympic cycles at the top and therefore the likelihood of them all being there is low. Plus there is always someone new and there could be a breakthrough next year from someone the next tier down who might challenge for a medal.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    I think it's a certain looking 400 guy. Gardiner presents to me a Rudisha-like frame that just seems tailor-made for the 800. I never thought this of Michael Johnson, nor do I have WVN. I know a certain look means nothing, but then again...Rudisha...
    while I get your point, it might be a fools errand to see a certain look and think 800m. We go through this ritual constantly and every year human nature throws a curve ball at us that redefines what a 400m guy should look like and what an 800m guy should look like.

Think back to how weird it must have seemed (im just a bit too young to know it well) after Alberto dominated the 800, who would have thought an elf like 130lb brit would totally demolish the 800m WR.

At 400m i never understood how MJ did what he did. He just never looked like a real 400m guy, Everything was wrong by eye, but he was unbeatable.
    Last edited by user4; 10-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    while I get your point, it might be a fools errand to see a certain look and think 800m. We go through this ritual constantly and every year human nature throws a curve ball at us that redefines what a 400m guy should look like and what an 800m guy should look like.

Think back to how weird it must have seemed (im just a bit too young to know it well) after Alberto dominated the 800, who would have thought an elf like 130lb brit would totally demolish the 800m WR.

At 400m i never understood how MJ did what he did. He just never looked like a real 400m guy, Everything was wrong by eye, but he was unbeatable.

And lets not forget about the 6'5" Jamaican sprinter who rewrote the record books and looked nothing like his predecessors in the sprints. Its why I love this sport. What you see isnt always what you get.

4. Collapse Details

It could also have been exactly as 58Commander states:

Running that fast in April and then trying to peak again for US Nationals and then once more for the WChs was too much to ask.

This being his first rodeo, the breakdown was due to the stress over an unusually long season.
    Last edited by scorpionking; 10-14-2019 at 09:00 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    I remember the coverage of the '76 Olympics in the British magazine Athletics Weekly. It seemed that everybody, including John Walker, thought that 800/1500m running was going to become the domain of tall, powerful guys with fast 400 times, To be fair, Walker was more the tall, powerful type than most of his rivals, although without the one-lap pedigree.

6. Collapse Details

The most dominant male sprinters of the last 40 years have been Carl Lewis (tall and rangy), Maurice Greene (quite short and chunky) and Usain Bolt (very tall and rangy). If Coleman proves to be the next dominant sprinter he will represent something of a return to the Greene archetype.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    The most dominant male sprinters of the last 40 years have been Carl Lewis (tall and rangy), Maurice Greene (quite short and chunky) and Usain Bolt (very tall and rangy). If Coleman proves to be the next dominant sprinter he will represent something of a return to the Greene archetype.
    Yes, the short and chunky type I would also refer to as shorter and powerful. Yohan Blake, Gatlin, Greene, Asafa Powell all looked like bodybuilders.

8. Collapse Details

Yes, the short and chunky type . . . Asafa Powell
    6'3"

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    6'3"
    Yeah. When you see a pic of Powell standing next to Bolt he's just a couple of inches shorter. His stocky appearance may make him come across as shorter.

10. Collapse Details

Yes, the short and chunky type I would also refer to as shorter and powerful. Yohan Blake, Gatlin, Greene, Asafa Powell all looked like bodybuilders.
    Gatlin looks like a body builder??? Not to me he don't.