Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

At age 22 I could see Donovan in the next few years actually breaking Daniel Rudisha's phenomenal world record of 1:40:01. Several gold medal winners mentioned their goal for Tokyo gold in their NBC post-race interviews but Brazier is the only one I heard mention the 2021 World Championships in Eugene, Oregon.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
    At age 22 I could see Donovan in the next few years actually breaking Daniel Rudisha's phenomenal world record of 1:40:01.
    a typo, 1:40.91

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dj View Post
    Ever? I could see that claim being made over the last 50 years, although Rick Wohlhuter and Johnny Gray could put in some pretty good arguments. I think Brazier has to win this race to stake that claim.

But ever? Taking the argument to the last 100 years brings Mal Whitfield, John Woodruff and Ben Eastman into the picture. I think Brazier would have to win this year AND next to be talking with them.
    Ahem.....

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    I thought Brazier had cocked it up by going with Vazquez
    Ye of little faith.

Brazier ran like he couldn't lose and he didn't.

5. Collapse Details

Great race!!

I just wish the announcers wouldn't yell about a WR every chance they get.

6. Collapse Details

Good job by Hoppel!

7. Collapse Details

Wow!!! Sorry to not get on this thread last night; I'm one of those people who has been blocked on the T&FN threads. Sometimes this week I can get in, usually not although maybe it's been fixed.

After that magnificent race/run by Donavan Brazier, my hats are off to him and to Mr. Bowie, who called it right! Brazier has every right to be in that circle of the greatest American 800 runners . . ever!

Brazier's winning margin of 1.13 seconds was the greatest winning margin in a global men's 800 since . . . 1908!!. London '08 saw Mel Sheppard setting a WR of 1:52 4/5 and beating Emilio Lunghi by 1.4 seconds.

Here are the WCh and OG men’s races that have been won by 0.8 seconds or more:
    2019 WC, Brazier (1:42.34), 1.13 over Tuka
    2012 OG, David Rudisha (1:40.91), 0.82 over Nijel Amos
    2001 WC, Andre Bucher (1:43.70), 0.85 over Wilfred Bungei
    1928 OG, Douglas Lowe (1:51.8), 1.0 over Erik Bylehn
    1908 OG, Mel Sheppard (1:52 4/5), 1.4 over Emilio Lunghi
    1896 OG, Edwin Flack (2:11.0), 0.8 over Nando Dani

Wide winning margins have been rather common among the women in both the OG and WCh, topped in 1968 by Madeline Manning’s 2:00.92 win over Ileana Silai by a margin of 1.66 seconds.

8. Collapse Details

As an 800m runner from HS, I have been continually exasperated with our 800 runners until recently. My biggest gripe has been it seems our middle and long distance runners were more interested/comfortable with time-trialling their way through a race than actually, you know, racing. Well, Nick Symmonds changed that for me and Murphy and Brazier have taken it further. And it is not just about the fact that they won medals, it's that they actually were not afraid to try to win. Hats off to Brazier, and to Hoppel for his PR and how he ran the race. No exasperation last night!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    As an 800m runner from HS, I have been continually exasperated with our 800 runners until recently. My biggest gripe has been it seems our middle and long distance runners were more interested/comfortable with time-trialling their way through a race than actually, you know, racing. Well, Nick Symmonds changed that for me and Murphy and Brazier have taken it further. And it is not just about the fact that they won medals, it's that they actually were not afraid to try to win. Hats off to Brazier, and to Hoppel for his PR and how he ran the race. No exasperation last night!
    Exhilaration not exasperation last night

10. Collapse Details

Agree that he's already in that circle of greatest American 800 runners of all-time, but I'd need to see another two or three years of consistent performances, and a medal (of any color) in 2020 and 2021 to put him solidly ahead of Wottle, Wohlhuter and Gray. Longevity counts.