Facts, Not Fiction

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sigmon View Post
    To my thinking, only Bayi's great run in the 1974 Commonwealth Games beats that for front running in a major championships 1500.
    What about Paula Ivan?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

2. Collapse Details

To my thinking, only Bayi's great run in the 1974 Commonwealth Games beats that for front running in a major championships 1500.
    Nurmi in '24. The only reason he didn't smash the WR by several seconds was that he slowed down to save energy for the 5000 later that day.

3. Collapse Details

Ah,great memories...I was a young tyke fascinated by the grainy images and excitement of this race and others. My discovery of something called Track & Field. Love at 1st sight...

4. Collapse Details

1500 pace that 12 runners will remember forever. The last place runner for three laps (Kalle Berglund, Sweden) ran laps of 57.70, 57.19, 57,69 being in 12th place the entire race and then had one of the fastest kicks to finish 9th with a 41.12 last 300 m (Cheruiyot had a closing 300m in 41.04). Berglund goes home with Sweden's National Record which puts him on the Sweden's 1500/mile record list of some legends.
    (I hope my math is correct)

5. Collapse Details

It is really nice to see an honest race for the WC rather than a jog and sprint.

6. Collapse Details

Wow, 2:48 at 1200. Didn't think I would ever see that in a Championship race. Looks like Centrowitz would have benefitted from running a couple of Diamond League paced (fast) races this summer.
    Ingrebitsens' go home without a medal. Big talkers and foulers.
    Last edited by Bruce Kritzler; 10-06-2019 at 09:06 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    Nurmi in '24. The only reason he didn't smash the WR by several seconds was that he slowed down to save energy for the 5000 later that day.
    Have only read of Nurmi's exploits in the 1500/5K double. Prefer not to comment about races at the 1988 Oly which, in my opinion, were tainted as heavily any other, by things one cannot comment openly on, at this site.

Comparing Bayi's run to Cheruyiot's. Bayi had shock value, taking down a fairly recent WR that was thought to be unapproachable, and rivals who figure more prominently in the annals of 1500m/1 mile. NR's for places 2, 3, 5, 7, and Walker also beating the old WR - Dixon (4) denied NR by Walker placing ahead. Cheruyiot's winning margin in a championship race is unmatched in modern times. A nod in favor of Bayi.

8. Collapse Details

I guess Jakob would likely have medalled here if he hadn't run the 5000.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Thought I was watching Keino in Mexico City!

10. Collapse Details

omparing Cheruiyot's run to Bayi's, Cheruiyot had the element of surprise. (Although no one should have been too surprised, as he and Manangoi took up the pace after only one lap in 2017). But now that he's done this, if he tries this tactic in Tokyo next year, the field will know what to expect and will (likely) follow him more closely.

Bayi, on the other hand, was doing what he always did, so he no advantage of surprise. The brilliance of his run in Christchurch was that he modified his front running, tempering the first lap so that it wasn't so fast that he faded at the end, as he had in couple of Scandinavian races the previous year.

(He did something similar in his Mile WR in 1975. I seem to recall someone [might have been GH?] commenting in TFN after either the Commonwealth 1500 or the Kingston Mile, saying that it was likely a preview of how Bayi might run the Olympic 1500. Alas that we never got to see Bayi in Montreal!)

As for Nurmi in 1924, yes he could have run a WR that day (maybe lowering his 3:52 to 3:49) if he hadn't been saving himself for the 5000m.

But the depth of competition was so much less in those days. (Compare the number of runners on the yearly list within 5 seconds of Nurmi (5, with a couple more mile equivalents) to the number within 5 seconds of Cheruiyot (21, not counting any mile equivalents).

Nurmi was so superior to everybody in that race that there really wasn't much chance of the front runner's great fear coming true: dragging the field along, only to be outkicked.