Facts, Not Fiction

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by uakari View Post
    funny, i said that years ago here, that hurdlers should be DQ for knocking down hurdles willy-nilly, and was laughed out of here...
    Roger Kingdom routinely clobbered hurdles and won . . . because he did not knock them into other hurdlers' lane, which could impede them.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I don't remember what I had for breakfast today and you want me to remember a race from 2011?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bsQuifkRSU

3. Collapse Details

One problem with the 'knocking a hurdle down' rule is that it makes the race outcome change hugely for a minor difference in the run. In addition, the hurdles have weights that are set for different heights. Failure to set them right would be an issue. For the record, I think that this idea is terrible; the runner always takes a hit for really hitting the hurdle, even Foster. And all of the records would be unfair to the new rules (worse than the protect-Bubka pegs and bar changes).

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Robles, a complete fraud. Traded in a WC Silver medal for life long infamy as a cheat.
    Last edited by user4; 10-08-2019 at 05:22 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    Actually, it is supposed to be fair in sports. Thatís the point of this.
    SPOILER ALERT........

Real situation. Feb 1977, last leg of the High School mile relay. I am on the backstretch of the 220yd track in Freedom Hall. As I pass the pole vault pit, an errant bar bounces out onto the track. I am forced to call upon my skills as a 180yd hurdler and leap over the misplaced implement. I cleared it with adeptly and continued my race to the finish line.

I got no medal. Of course the bar only contributed to a small fraction of the 60yds I was trailing by.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    SPOILER ALERT........

Real situation. Feb 1977, last leg of the High School mile relay. I am on the backstretch of the 220yd track in Freedom Hall. As I pass the pole vault pit, an errant bar bounces out onto the track. I am forced to call upon my skills as a 180yd hurdler and leap over the misplaced implement. I cleared it with adeptly and continued my race to the finish line.

I got no medal. Of course the bar only contributed to a small fraction of the 60yds I was trailing by.
    “Of course the bar only contributed to a small fraction of the 60yds I was trailing by” is the relevant part of your post.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    The only appeal with any merit is for the South African to appeal to be advanced to the next round based on his race being disrupted by Roberts.
    He did not seem to be get impeded, the hurdle did not have to be cleared and he was pretty far behind. Roberts does not seem that sloppy to me and was always gaining on Holloway in the collegiate season (and at USATF, if I recall correctly). Remember he brought his times down a huge amount and so he has to deal with the hurdles coming quicker and should have a steep learning curve for another year. Interesting out close Holloway and Roberts were through the season even though they are pretty different hurdlers.

8. Collapse Details

Report that Shubenkov's 2020 DL contract has provision that McLeod cannot be in adjoining lane:
    http://mir-la.com/15531-na-brilliant...makleodom.html

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Interesting how close Holloway and Roberts were through the season even though they are pretty different hurdlers.
    Holloway is definitely a work in progress. Enormous talent but his stride length is too long for the event, which is why he got caught this year over the last 3 hurdles - he can't run as fast as he would like to. As he refines his 'shuffling' routine, he will be consistent under 13.

Roberts is more polished, but still has alotta upside too. It will be great fun watching them mature. This is definitely a Skeets-Foster rivalry blooming.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Holloway is definitely a work in progress. Enormous talent but his stride length is too long for the event, which is why he got caught this year over the last 3 hurdles - he can't run as fast as he would like to. As he refines his 'shuffling' routine, he will be consistent under 13.

Roberts is more polished, but still has alotta upside too. It will be great fun watching them mature. This is definitely a Skeets-Foster rivalry blooming.
    Foster being an example of someone who definitely 'shuffled'.