Facts, Not Fiction

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Again, he was third when knocked out of the race, also second creates another problem because it knocks second to third and third out. Two Bronze work and essentially nothing else does.
    What works is DQ McLeod and Ortega remains 5th.

2. Collapse Details

Again, he was third when knocked out of the race, also second creates another problem because it knocks second to third and third out. Two Bronze work and essentially nothing else does.
    The Bronze for O is 'fair' in the way we teach Kindergarteners what should be fair in life, but it sure ain't sports.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    NCAA indoor champion, indoor CR, NCAA outdoor champion, outdoor CR, world champion. Has any college athlete ever had a better season than Holloway?...
    Do the names Henry Rono or Jesse Owens (twice) ring a bell? Holloway not even on the same page I'm afraid.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Do the names Henry Rono or Jesse Owens (twice) ring a bell? Holloway not even on the same page I'm afraid.
    I guess Holoway's achievement as a college athlete is pretty rare these days, but was quite common until the 1960s.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    Parry O'Brien 1952
    Randy Matson 1967

6. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    forgive my sarcasm in that post, I was agreeing with you. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. Thanks for making my case even tighter.

7. Collapse Details

Just read that Blaine Lindgren, silver medalist in Tokyo, has died in Utah.
    https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sa...&pid=194084445
    This belongs in the History section, but it's closed, so maybe this can be moved there later.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    forgive my sarcasm in that post, I was agreeing with you. Sometimes you have to read between the lines. Thanks for making my case even tighter.
    I am not making any point related to your sarcasm or anything along those lines. I was merely explaining why (I think) the decision was for third place. You can like it, hate it, etc., and I said nothing at all about my liking it or disliking it.

9. Collapse Details

Yes, agree, the two bronze solution works.
    Last edited by user4; 10-07-2019 at 02:50 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I never said that I oppose their decision to award Ortega the extra medal. I'm actually a big fan of his and was very disappointed for him, and am pleased that he got some due recognition. My worry is that the IAAF isn't going to be consistent in following this precedent in the future, and that we may see an increase in appeals for sympathy medals from here forward. Additionally, I think it's unfair to those athletes like Liu Xiang in '11 and Irina Shevchenko in '04 who were similarly obstructed in hurdle races but received no similar sympathy recognition.
    Those earlier tragedies will serve to build the case for the necessary and long overdue rule changes regarding lane infractions. The event needs to shed the menace of the Tasmanian devil types.

I'm going to go further, because user4 has to, and say in addition to my previous stated changes, that we need to return to DQ s if you knock over more than one hurdle. Small contact with hurdles is fine, knock two down beyond 45degrees and you are DQed.

The present state of the event is a distortion of the 110h as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The Bronze for O is 'fair' in the way we teach Kindergarteners what should be fair in life, but it sure ain't sports.
    It ain't sport being assaulted in a hurdle race and what we teach Kindergarteners is what should be essential in life and sports. And all sports is a game, it is meant to highlight what is important in life, to the extent that sport is not fair, it is not sport.
    Last edited by user4; 10-07-2019 at 04:15 PM.