Facts, Not Fiction

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tm71 View Post
    Two million dollars a pop
    Per pop? So $18-20 million or so for just the light show for the whole meet? Seems to me if you can do one for $2 million you should be able to change the text a bit for the next one for a lot less than another $2 million. Or is electricity really f'n expensive there?

2. Collapse Details

I would like to see some documentation for the figure.

3. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    It also sets a precedent for when similar obstructions inevitably happen again in both this event and others (how many times have we seen runner's taken out by someone else's stumble in distance races?).
    yeah what a horrible injustice that we give a bronze medal to a guy who is mugged by another competitor and bludgeoned out of the competition while he was on his way to either silver or bronze.

That is so bad for track and field.

we need a major rewrite of the 110H lane infraction rules.
    Last edited by user4; 10-04-2019 at 09:54 PM.

4. Collapse Details

I’m with you. I think this was a reasonable accommodation given that it was the final AND the obstruction happened late enough in the race where you could determine a very likely outcome had it not happened.

Folks are overreacting. This is a rare case by case thing when medals were being determined. Don’t think this is going to turn into NFL instant replay for every race where a hurdle falls.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Holloway saluting the flag during the anthem.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EF-p8PxX...jpg&name=small

Well done young man.
    Great pic...thank you!! Grant's victory is one of the biggest upsets of the 2019 World Championships. Even the T&FN Form Chart tabbed Grant for 5th place!!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    yeah what a horrible injustice that we give a bronze medal to a guy who is mugged by another competitor and bludgeoned out of the competition while he was on his way to either silver or bronze.

The current rules say to stay in your own lane and not knock down another person's hurdles. What changes do you think should come out of this?

7. Collapse Details

I never said that I oppose their decision to award Ortega the extra medal. I'm actually a big fan of his and was very disappointed for him, and am pleased that he got some due recognition. My worry is that the IAAF isn't going to be consistent in following this precedent in the future, and that we may see an increase in appeals for sympathy medals from here forward. Additionally, I think it's unfair to those athletes like Liu Xiang in '11 and Irina Shevchenko in '04 who were similarly obstructed in hurdle races but received no similar sympathy recognition.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    The current rules say to stay in your own lane and not knock down another person's hurdles. What changes do you think should come out of this?
    A major rewrite has already occurred. As of NOV19 the rule will change. Go to

https://www.iaaf.org/about-iaaf/docu...es-regulations

and pick up the June 9 amendments.

9. Collapse Details

Just run 5 athletes in the final, lanes 1, 3, 5, 7, 9.

There's only three medals; You don't HAVE to have 8 athletes competing for them.

OR, for hurdles, run one long non-rocking hurdle across all lanes. Like I remember reading they did in very early Olympics.

We need to think outside the box, like Coe says.

10. Collapse Details

Again, he was third when knocked out of the race, also second creates another problem because it knocks second to third and third out. Two Bronze work and essentially nothing else does.