Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

What'd I miss? They gave Ortega a bronze and let Martinot-Lagarde keep his? They must have looked at the video and concluded that he might have caught Martinot-Lagarde but not Shubenkov.

2. Collapse Details

He was third when it happened, right? Remember, he was behind McLeod, so they gave him the placing.

BTW, in the SP the >20m foul was being protested or at least asked about when they let Gong take her attempt. Not sure if there is any protest on the foul, which I did not see (close or not, I have no idea).
    Last edited by 26mi235; 10-03-2019 at 10:20 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Dare it say it but perhaps the fairest option is to have the convention to be that a re-run happens unless the person affected is clearly out of medal contention? In this case, you have a re-run for second because there is no way Ortega would have beaten Holloway and you exclude the athletes who are out of contention? The statistician dislikes the untidy result that you'd end up with.

I'm kite-flying by the way!
    I think I mentioned that yesterday: Holloway keeps his gold and is excluded from the re-run. McLeod, disqualified, is also out. If it were determined that Ortega would not have caught Shubenkov, you could have excluded him as well, and he keeps his silver.

From the looks of it, it would have been a 2-man race and only 2 men on the track (Ortega and Martinot-Lagarde), because Xie was not even close to the podium with his 13.29.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 10-03-2019 at 10:25 PM.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by guru View Post
    Holloway saluting the flag during the anthem.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EF-p8PxX...jpg&name=small

Well done young man.
    Grace, and honor all rolled into one man !!

5. Collapse Details

This sport is jumping the shark. Neither this nor the Men's Hammer consolation prize bronze is justifiable. It completely opens Pandora's box.

6. Collapse Details

Oh dear. If we are awarding medals based on probabilities, there is the chance he could have face planted over the final hurdle. Not sure I like where this could lead us.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    He was third when it happened, right? Remember, he was behind McLeod, so they gave him the placing.
    Yeahbut . . . this is not the 95m Hurdles. Ya gotta finish the race in that place to earn the medal. This is not a sport of coulda-shoulda-whatifs.

8. Collapse Details

To all those saying Ortega didn't have a shot: before the McLeod incident, he was ahead of Shubenkov, who got pretty close to Holloway in the end.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    To all those saying Ortega didn't have a shot: before the McLeod incident, he was ahead of Shubenkov, who got pretty close to Holloway in the end.
    Yes, he had a shot, but that's not what medals are given out for . . . oh wait, yes, they are.

10. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    I like the idea that Ortega gets a bronze, it was Solomonesqe wisdom applied to a gordian knot of a problem.