Facts, Not Fiction

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

One possibility that WA could consider would be to have entry or declaration info for hurdlers include which leg they lead with. In appropriate cases, the Technical Delegates could then tweak the lane assignments when athletes with opposite lead legs are placed by the computer program in adjacent lanes.

2. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by tandfman View Post
    One possibility that WA could consider would be to have entry or declaration info for hurdlers include which leg they lead with. In appropriate cases, the Technical Delegates could then tweak the lane assignments when athletes with opposite lead legs are placed by the computer program in adjacent lanes.
    How about just requiring that the athletes :

1) stay in their assigned lanes.
    2) clear their own hurdles.

Its really not that complicated. I will never understand how we got so far astray from the basics in this event.

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    maybe track needs to go the polo route and force everybody to play on the same side
    note to self: google search the sport of polo and find out what in the name of the house of Hanover, Lord gh is talking about!
    Last edited by user4; 10-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post

Its really not that complicated. I will never understand how we got so far astray from the basics in this event.
    How will that help when he has crashed others out of the race. He has been DQed several times for violating those rules; they cannot be enforced ex ante.

4. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    How will that help when he has crashed others out of the race. He has been DQed several times for violating those rules; they cannot be enforced ex ante.
    If the rules had been set to DQ athletes that race like devils then an athlete like McLeod would have learned how to race the 110H without interfering with others. But the rules have been a farce for so long that an athlete like McLeod has taken the optimal path for himself at the expense of his competitors.

If McLeod from the beginning had faced the prospect of a DQ for crossing the line he would have learned the event as it was meant to be and he would be a better hurdler today instead of a train wreck destroying competitors that had the misfortune to line up next to him.

Furthermore, consider the arm reach of Robles in that infamous 2011 race. Would Robles have pulled a stunt like that if the rules were written to make the race first and foremost fair. I doubt it.

The rules shape and change the conduct and character of the athletes competing. And that is a good thing.

A rule change is in order. Maybe my suggestions are a bit too stringent, that is fine but the present state of this event is not what it was intended to be.
    Last edited by user4; 10-11-2019 at 08:31 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post

Beat me to it.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    Are you a Sith?

It's about reducing the frequency of the interactions, it's not an absolute thing where they'll never interact. Occasionally somebody in the slowest seeded 4 will win, but that's usually not the case.
    I am absolutely not a Sith!

7. Collapse Details

The two probably worst offenders have paid the price being being DQed, even after finishing first. Why would supposedly enforcing the rules more tightly (?) change their running much. It would result in an occasional DQ for them, but they would likely end up in the Final in WC/OG. You have a strong assertion but I do not think that you have a very complete story about how this would affect those athletes.

And things can go wrong even without the 'bad' behavior. Consider Roberts, his case was where he got in to problems after hitting a hurdle and then knocked over a hurdle in the next lane. I am not sure that he actually interfered with that athlete but...

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Consider Roberts, his case was where he got in to problems after hitting a hurdle and then knocked over a hurdle in the next lane. I am not sure that he actually interfered with that athlete but...
    Whether he interfered or not doesn't actually matter. Knocking over a hurdle in another lane is a specific DQ offence because you have gone around the side of the hurdle you are supposed to be trying to clear.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    That's not the norm, but flailing arms and mis-laned feet are pretty common.
    The huge problem with McL and OO is that they are opposite legged leads, with lead arms next to each other, so they whacked each other badly, and then McL's trail foot caught OO's hurdle.
    McLeod's problem is more than just flailing arms.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trickstat View Post
    Whether he interfered or not doesn't actually matter. Knocking over a hurdle in another lane is a specific DQ offence because you have gone around the side of the hurdle you are supposed to be trying to clear.
    I do not thing that having your foot clear the adjoining hurdle is a violation. In the 400h you are DQed for 'Hooking' but even that might require that the foot dip below the line of the hurdle. The violation is knocking over someone else's hurdle - I was just noting that in this instance it might not have actually impeded the runner but is still a violation.