Facts, Not Fiction

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 18.99s View Post
    They'd also benefit from being separated from each other. Collisions are reduced when hurdlers of similar ability aren't next to each other.
    Please explain.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    what a cry baby, doesnt he know that in sports $%!7 happens !
    Wonder how he will feel if he draws a lane alongside my man Roberts?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    what a cry baby, doesnt he know that in sports $%!7 happens !
    The other rule is, control what you can control. So he controls his lane draw

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Please explain.
    A big problem is the swinging of the lead arm. If you're both going over the hurdle at the same time, a problem ensues. If the guy (not a real problem with women, cuz their arm-swing is closer to the body, since it is closer to a sprint motion) is right at your side (as opposed to slightly ahead or behind), there can be some whapping going on. Then there's the problem of the trail leg's foot going over your neighbor's hurdle as McL did to OO.

5. Collapse Details

Please explain.
    If the runners in Lanes 1/3/5/7 are fast and in 2/4/6/8 are a bit slower there will soon be separation (i.e., if 0.10 behind there is about a meter between them and their arms will not come in to contact) so that the hurdlers in adjacent lanes are less likely to interfere with each other. I am pretty sure that is what they meant.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    If the runners in Lanes 1/3/5/7 are fast and in 2/4/6/8 are a bit slower there will soon be separation (i.e., if 0.10 behind there is about a meter between them and their arms will not come in to contact) so that the hurdlers in adjacent lanes are less likely to interfere with each other. I am pretty sure that is what they meant.
    If you're convinced that those in lanes 2/4/6/8 are slow enough as to never interact with the athletes in lanes 1/3/5/7, then they essentially won't have a chance to win. In that case just get rid of athletes in lanes 2/4/6/8 and have a 4 man final like they way they run in the decathlon. If you find that the real fast guys in lanes 1/3/5/7 are still chopping wood and interacting with athletes a full lane away, we could go to individual time trials. There...I just fixed the 110 hurdles problem.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    If you're convinced that those in lanes 2/4/6/8 are slow enough as to never interact with the athletes in lanes 1/3/5/7, then they essentially won't have a chance to win.
    Are you a Sith?

It's about reducing the frequency of the interactions, it's not an absolute thing where they'll never interact. Occasionally somebody in the slowest seeded 4 will win, but that's usually not the case.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26mi235 View Post
    Yeah, but if a runner in the next lane is so out of control that he runs in your lane or crashes it won't matter that he's a half step ahead of you.

9. Collapse Details

Yeah, but if a runner in the next lane is so out of control that he runs in your lane or crashes it won't matter that he's a half step ahead of you.
    That's not the norm, but flailing arms and mis-laned feet are pretty common.
    The huge problem with McL and OO is that they are opposite legged leads, with lead arms next to each other, so they whacked each other badly, and then McL's trail foot caught OO's hurdle.

10. Collapse Details

Administrator
    maybe track needs to go the polo route and force everybody to play on the same side