Facts, Not Fiction

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    That's why the Rodgers/Gatlin exchange ended up out of the zone a couple years ago. Pushing the limit on Gatlin running a long leg means decreasing your wiggle room if anything goes wrong.
    The recent Rodgers-Gatlin DQ, IIRC, was the early touch at the first exchange.

But to your point, if Gatlin can't run a "long leg" he shouldn't be on second.

Rodgers has been involved in so many foul-ups you have to give me the year and meet so I can check what you are referring to.

2. Collapse Details

the world will be better when Rogers is no longer running a leg. He is all over the place in the zone

3. Collapse Details

The other sprinters need to step up, Rogers keeps making the individual team year after year.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy News View Post
    The other sprinters need to step up, Rogers keeps making the individual team year after year.
    Which is somewhat odd, given that the savvy needed to consistently manage rounds at the highest level should also aid him on the relay, but it apparently doesn’t.

5. Collapse Details

Since this is "pick on Rodgers" time, let me assert, that if I ever am the Relays Coach for a USA national team, he will never touch that baton for me.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    Since this is "pick on Rodgers" time, let me assert, that if I ever am the Relays Coach for a USA national team, he will never touch that baton for me.
    The male version of Torri Edwards?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by polevaultpower View Post
    That's why the Rodgers/Gatlin exchange ended up out of the zone a couple years ago. Pushing the limit on Gatlin running a long leg means decreasing your wiggle room if anything goes wrong.
    The idea is to make all three exchanges late in the zone, not just the Gatlin-Rogers exchange. Whenever you make the exchange early in the zone, you're losing time.

8. Collapse Details

Let's see... Rodgers got silver in 2013 on 2nd leg. Botched in 2015 on anchor from Gay. Silver in 2017 leadoff to Gatlin.

2016, basically a Gatlin botch from a Rodgers pass on 1-2.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Thanks CT, Superior speed can make up for a lot of mistakes on the 4x1's. The 4x4 problem is rare, but London took his eye off the baton. I tell the incoming runner to keep normal arm swing until the receiver opens up, then extend and the outgoing runner is responsible to snatch that stick being held vertical. The incoming runner better be so tired from blitzing that 400 that all they can do is hold the stick up!

Agreed wth you about the second exchange technique, I prefer the third leg starting inside and staying inside. Don't want my incoming runner seeing him outside and then thinking
    "He's outside should I be inside?"
    I think London's issue began when he misjudged the speed Norwood was entering the exchange zone with. Norwood extending his arm for about 3-5m had to slow down the stick but then London has to "look the baton into his hand". On the 4x1 Rodgers looked like an amateur out there with his weaving, taking up the side of the lane Gatlin needed (outside)even if very briefly but then it was just too casual of an acceleration.
    Last edited by cladthin; 10-09-2019 at 02:25 AM.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    the world will be better when Rogers is no longer running a leg. He is all over the place in the zone
    It could be worse. At least Doc Patton isn't on the relays anymore.