Facts, Not Fiction

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    Taylor: 4xWC, 2xOG (with only one "missed chance" - 4th in WC)

Vs

Edwards: 2xWC, 1xOG (with OG silver, WC silver and 2x WC bronze)

I'd give that to Taylor easily. Edwards 3 WRs are certainly impressive, but in terms of their top 6 jumps ever, it really evens out:

18.29 Edwards
    18.21 Taylor
    18.16 Edwards
    18.11 Taylor
    18.06 Taylor
    18.04 Taylor
    18.01 Edwards
    18.00 Edwards
    17.98 Edwards
    17.96 Taylor
    17.92 Edwards
    17.92 Taylor

Persistent championship glory outweighs the WRs for me.

Thus Saneyev still is GOAT.
    Add to this:
    If Taylor will be selected to be No.1 in Track and field news ranking then he will lead Edwards 8-7
    Top 10 average: 17.961 - 17.954 for Taylor
    And as AS pointed out the advantage in hardware makes it a rather clear case for Taylor.

2. Collapse Details

Can someone explain why Taylor jumped last in the final? I assumed Claye would have been last since he led after the 1st three jumps.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    The reason for that, in some cases, is that the abbreviation is based on the French for the country, or the name of the country in their own language. A few years ago I asked he IOC about this and they said they simply let the nation select their own 3-letter abbreviation. I realize that the IOC and IAAF do not match 100% on these 3LAs (and FIFA is also different). The 3 do not agree which can get very confusing.
    It's also about who gets in first.

If you have a new country (e.g. post Czechoslovakia), or a name change, somebody else may already have the nicest TLC (three letter capitalisation).

There are also international conventions such as ISO 3166 which has 2 letter, 3 letter and 3 digit codes. Some of these coincide with both IAAF and IOC but others...

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Can someone explain why Taylor jumped last in the final? I assumed Claye would have been last since he led after the 1st three jumps.
    From this year on the rule is again that the competitors are ordered after the fifth round again as they are after the third. So Taylor, who was the leader after the fifth round, jumped last.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks. I didn't know about this new rule.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Thanks. I didn't know about this new rule.
    Actually an old rule that was abandoned a while ago and now re-introduced.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Actually an old rule that was abandoned a while ago and now re-introduced.
    They've used that rule at the last couple Olympics

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ATK View Post
    I know he doesn't have the world record, but what's the consensus on Taylor vs Edwards? Who ranks higher career wise at this point?
    Great question!

I agree with the others who list Saneyev - Taylor - Edwards. Szmidt and da Silva would fit in somewhere close with Edwards, but below the top 2, in my opinion. If Taylor wins in Tokyo next year, he moves closer to Saneyev, but Saneyev's longevity still tips the balance, for now. Taylor has the multiple WC golds, but in Saneyev's day, the European Championships were sometimes the equivalent of the WC when it came to the TJ.

9. Collapse Details

Hmmm.... I'd say if Taylor wins next year, he might inch past Saneyev as the GOAT.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveu View Post
    Hmmm.... I'd say if Taylor wins next year, he might inch past Saneyev as the GOAT.
    I don't see how 3 Oly golds and 0 world records (Taylor) trump 3 Oly golds + 1 Oly silver and 2 world records (Saneyev). It's really hard to include WC medals in the comparison because they didn't exist for Saneyev, who arguably would've won more of those than Taylor has.