Facts, Not Fiction

 
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 116
  1. Collapse Details
     
    #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    23,436
    At one point Taylor was 'on deck' at the top of the secondary runway when they had the awards ceremony for the wHT, won by Price. The camera for the TJ feed showed Taylor singing/mouthing the words - I guess he has had a lot of practice.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Has anyone ever had 6 17.50+ jumps in one competition? Will Claye just did that tonight.
    No.

    In fact, nobody has had 6 jumps at 17.40 or better.

    However, 4 guys have done it at 17.30 or better, including Claye. The other three are:
    • Phillips Idowu
    • Christian Taylor
    • Pedro Pablo Pichardo


    Back to 17.50 jumps, here is the table sorted by number then by highest mean.

    Data thanks to Peter Larsson at www.alltime-athletics.com and covers indoor/out and legal and windy jumps.

    Count Athlete Competition Min Max Mean
    6 Will Claye 20190929|Ad-Dawhah| 17.53 17.74 17.67
    5 Christian Taylor 20180720|Monaco| 17.50 17.86 17.66
    5 Will Claye 20190726|Des Moines| 17.52 17.70 17.64
    4 Jonathan Edwards 19950625|Villeneuve d'Ascq| 17.72 18.43 18.11
    4 Christian Taylor 20170527|Eugene| 17.54 18.11 17.78
    4 Jonathan Edwards 19950702|Gateshead| 17.60 18.03 17.77
    4 Teddy Tamgho 20100612|New York City| 17.60 17.98 17.76
    4 Christian Olsson 20030713|Gateshead| 17.61 17.92 17.74
    4 Khristo Markov 19880903|Sofia| 17.60 17.77 17.71
    4 Christian Taylor 20190709|Székesfehérvár| 17.55 17.93 17.70
    4 Christian Olsson 20040822|Athínai| 17.58 17.79 17.69
    3 Christian Taylor 20160816|Rio de Janeiro| 17.77 17.86 17.80
    3 Teddy Tamgho 20130818|Moskva| 17.65 18.04 17.79
    3 Jonathan Edwards 19980823|Budapest| 17.53 17.99 17.79
    3 Khristo Markov 19870831|Roma| 17.70 17.92 17.78
    3 Mike Conley 19920803|Barcelona| 17.54 18.17 17.78
    3 Mike Conley 19930816|Stuttgart| 17.70 17.86 17.78
    3 Khristo Markov 19860811|Budapest| 17.64 17.80 17.73
    3 Yoelbi Quesada 19970808|Athínai| 17.60 17.85 17.68
    3 Will Claye 20140627|Sacramento| 17.64 17.75 17.68
    3 Will Claye 20160816|Rio de Janeiro| 17.55 17.76 17.64
    3 Leonid Voloshin 19910826|Tokyo| 17.53 17.75 17.62
    3 Will Claye 20120311|Istanbul| 17.53 17.70 17.62
    3 Teddy Tamgho 20100608|Montreuil-sous-Bois| 17.59 17.63 17.61
    3 Marquis Dendy 20150612|Eugene| 17.50 17.71 17.58
    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,476
    Apparently, with this competition, the average of Taylor's best 10 competitions now exceeds that of Edwards.
    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #84
    I know he doesn't have the world record, but what's the consensus on Taylor vs Edwards? Who ranks higher career wise at this point?
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Back in the hometown of Peter Norman
    Posts
    6,178
    Taylor: 4xWC, 2xOG (with only one "missed chance" - 4th in WC)

    Vs

    Edwards: 2xWC, 1xOG (with OG silver, WC silver and 2x WC bronze)

    I'd give that to Taylor easily. Edwards 3 WRs are certainly impressive, but in terms of their top 6 jumps ever, it really evens out:

    18.29 Edwards
    18.21 Taylor
    18.16 Edwards
    18.11 Taylor
    18.06 Taylor
    18.04 Taylor
    18.01 Edwards
    18.00 Edwards
    17.98 Edwards
    17.96 Taylor
    17.92 Edwards
    17.92 Taylor

    Persistent championship glory outweighs the WRs for me.

    Thus Saneyev still is GOAT.
    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right where I'm supposed to be.
    Posts
    627
    [QUOTE=LNO;2723660]Originally Posted by LopenUupunut
    Pretty sure that's the first medal ever for Burkina Faso

    Oddly, both the T&Fnews preview list and the IAAF broadcast kept saying he was from Burundi, despite the very clear Burkina Faso on his vest.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,476
    [QUOTE=highjumpfan;2723898]
    Quote Originally Posted by LNO View Post
    Originally Posted by LopenUupunut
    Pretty sure that's the first medal ever for Burkina Faso

    Oddly, both the T&Fnews preview list and the IAAF broadcast kept saying he was from Burundi, despite the very clear Burkina Faso on his vest.
    That's the wrong side of Africa. BUR is Burkina Faso, Burundi is BDI.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by AS View Post
    Taylor: 4xWC, 2xOG (with only one "missed chance" - 4th in WC)

    Vs

    Edwards: 2xWC, 1xOG (with OG silver, WC silver and 2x WC bronze)

    I'd give that to Taylor easily. Edwards 3 WRs are certainly impressive, but in terms of their top 6 jumps ever, it really evens out:

    18.29 Edwards
    18.21 Taylor
    18.16 Edwards
    18.11 Taylor
    18.06 Taylor
    18.04 Taylor
    18.01 Edwards
    18.00 Edwards
    17.98 Edwards
    17.96 Taylor
    17.92 Edwards
    17.92 Taylor

    Persistent championship glory outweighs the WRs for me.

    Thus Saneyev still is GOAT.
    I would go with Saneyev just but I think Taylor will go number 1 if he wins in Tokyo.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    16,052
    Quote Originally Posted by highjumpfan View Post
    Oddly, both the T&Fnews preview list and the IAAF broadcast kept saying he was from Burundi, despite the very clear Burkina Faso on his vest.
    That's just laziness. There is a list of all country abbreviations in the WC stats book, as well as every ATFS annual, that you can refer to in case of doubt. If I had a dime for every time I heard BLR athletes being called Bulgarians by commentators...

    OTOH, a minor pet peeve of mine is some of these three-letter abbreviations not being very logical or obvious, like BRN, which stands for Bahrain, but looks a lot more like Brunei.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...
    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    That's just laziness. There is a list of all country abbreviations in the WC stats book, as well as every ATFS annual, that you can refer to in case of doubt. If I had a dime for every time I heard BLR athletes being called Bulgarians by commentators...

    OTOH, a minor pet peeve of mine is some of these three-letter abbreviations not being very logical or obvious, like BRN, which stands for Bahrain, but looks a lot more like Brunei.
    The reason for that, in some cases, is that the abbreviation is based on the French for the country, or the name of the country in their own language. A few years ago I asked he IOC about this and they said they simply let the nation select their own 3-letter abbreviation. I realize that the IOC and IAAF do not match 100% on these 3LAs (and FIFA is also different). The 3 do not agree which can get very confusing.
    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •