Facts, Not Fiction

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    1cm is within the margin of measurement error. That is a 3-way tie for Gold. End of story.
    Kidding?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by user4 View Post
    1cm is within the margin of measurement error. That is a 3-way tie for Gold. End of story.
    Your conclusion is wrong - if they are tied on the first mark you go to the second mark. That would mean Crouser/Walsh/Kovacs

3. Collapse Details

1cm margin of error could just as easily mean that the actual numbers were 22.89 and 22.92.

4. Collapse Details

Regardless of the landing surface and honest intent, determining the exact impact point of shotput (or horizontal jump) to the exact cm is problematic, whether you are pulling tape or using a laser.
    You can calibrate the laser to a mm but despite care and impartiality of the marker, placing the reflector within a cm is iffy.. lasers have a vertical leveling bubble, which is tricky and usually ignored.. you can easily have one a cm tilt... too many markers run up to the mark and jab the laser point somewhere in the crater without trying to determine the frequently indeterminate edge.
    It is an imperfect world.
    By a grand coincidence, three throws were accorded near identical marks.. all you can do is the best you can under the rules and venue method. . placement of the two identical marks should be by next best mark.
    Last edited by lonewolf; 10-07-2019 at 04:12 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    placing the reflector within a cm is iffy.. lasers have a vertical leveling bubble, which is tricky and usually ignored
    Which is why we need a mat that is uniformly deformed by impact and automated electronic measuring systems. Same in the horizontal jumps (albeit a 'deeper' foam mat).

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Which is why we need a mat that is uniformly deformed by impact and automated electronic measuring systems. Same in the horizontal jumps (albeit a 'deeper' foam mat).
    Landing on a foam mat while wearing spikes could be a bit problematic. Would it show a hand drag or butt drag?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobguild76 View Post
    Landing on a foam mat while wearing spikes could be a bit problematic. Would it show a hand drag or butt drag?
    Good points, but not insurmountable issues for the technology.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Along with that, in Doha, it looked on TV like in the horizontal jumps that just decided to never rake the pit. Aren't you supposed to make a pretense of keeping the landing area level. That could certainly affect measurements by 1-2 cm or so.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Along with that, in Doha, it looked on TV like in the horizontal jumps that just decided to never rake the pit. Aren't you supposed to make a pretense of keeping the landing area level. That could certainly affect measurements by 1-2 cm or so.
    I agree, the pit was not maintained up to my standards. It was difficult from camera angle and glare to determine the precise landing point or detect hand drag in the fleeting moment shown.
    But then, I am a luddite. I have worked Olympics/ NCAA/USATF but never with camera measurement...
    Heck, I don't even trust laser measurement unless calibration is checked frequently... or tape measurement unless I am the pit marker... and tape reader.
    We are talking cms here, folks.. the consistency/moisture of the sand/landing area can affect ability to determinable precise landing point..

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    I agree, the pit was not maintained up to my standards.
    As I was watching the horizontal jumps, I was wondering what lonewolf thought about the lazy pit crew. On one of the men's events, I noted a competitor asked the crew to level the pit. That seemed a great idea. Someone else's mark in the pit might get credited to you.