Facts, Not Fiction

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    Umm, no it would not be. You then go to lookback and if you want that argument Crouser wins Gold because he had by far the best series of any of them.
    i like giving out more medals. Im old school in every category but this one. In fact we need to start making the podium for 8 athletes.
    Last edited by user4; 10-06-2019 at 07:01 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by americantrackfan View Post
    yeah...Romani smashed the championship record and was over a foot off the podium, unreal
    And this was not a soft record. It has stood for 32 years.

3. Collapse Details

So does T&FN consider Kovacs' throw to be the American record, given that Barnes only threw further in 1990?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JumboElliott View Post
    So does T&FN consider Kovacs' throw to be the American record, given that Barnes only threw further in 1990?
    T&FN lists American Records as ratified by USATF, which is Barnes at 23.12/75-10Ľ.

T&FN recognizes parenthetically in its record section the best non-Barnes-1990 mark (previously Oldfield 22.86/75-0) so I would assume Kovacs will be accorded the same treatment.

5. Collapse Details

I agree with the measurement criticisms. I'm really surprised they haven't gone to a relatively dense foam mat to throw onto, where every throw indents into a hemispheric mark, and then after a minute rises back to its original levelness.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I agree with the measurement criticisms. I'm really surprised they haven't gone to a relatively dense foam mat to throw onto, where every throw indents into a hemispheric mark, and then after a minute rises back to its original levelness.
    Wouldn’t that be very expensive for anything other than this sort of global championships?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dukehjsteve View Post
    My thought often is that they should have HARD dirt as a landing area rather than grass. A round shot landing on hard dirt will produce a longer throw than on grass by a good 2 inches, plus would be more consistent... and what if today's big 3 had all lobbed into the same precise spot ? How could you discern the shortest spot to measure from ? And the hard dirt landing spot for any throw can be quickly smoothed.. not so for a hole in the grass.
    Yeah, there's no need for anything more complicated or high-tech than that. Maybe FIFA mandates no dirt sectors on football fields, or something equally stupid.

8. Collapse Details

When discussing all these measurement issues are we going too far? Are the athletes complaining? Just wondering? Did any of these particular 3 athletes feel they were cheated?

If they are doing their best to measure every throw the same way do we really have much to complain about? I am sure Mr. Kovacs would not be thrilled if his 22.91 was ruled effectively the same as a 22.90 (because someone believes that statistically they are too close together and measuring imprecise to determine a significant difference) and lost because his 2nd throw did not measure up to Crouser's.

Most competitions are not this close and they are all playing by the same rules so I don't think there is any reason to gripe. I am sure they are all happy with how they performed at these WC.

9. Collapse Details

There's a championship of some form every year. There are big meets all the time.
    They're going to make money, so why complain?
    Fabulous competition.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    When discussing all these measurement issues are we going too far? Are the athletes complaining? Just wondering? Did any of these particular 3 athletes feel they were cheated?
    Olsen protested the measurement of his last throw at the Euros in 2006, figured he'd been cheated out of gold. (Unfortunately I can't find any video of that throw, and have forgotten the details.)