Facts, Not Fiction

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

In general, I would expect that the measured distance in to grass will be shorter than on a pretty hard surface because the trailing edge will cut the grass but not hard pan. My guess is that this effect is about 5 mm but that comes from drawing a rough picture in my mind (I am assuming that the shot lands at about a 45 degree angle - smaller launch angle but lunched from 2 meters elevation).
    Last edited by 26mi235; 11-05-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: took out an inadvertant "to" in the second line

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by odelltrclan View Post
    I am sure Mr. Kovacs would not be thrilled if his 22.91 was ruled effectively the same as a 22.90 (because someone believes that statistically they are too close together and measuring imprecise to determine a significant difference) and lost because his 2nd throw did not measure up to Crouser's.
    In tennis the players don't get upset by 6-5 not winning a set. They know the rules about what the margin has to be to win a set.

The shot putters understand that 1 or 2 cm is within the margin of measurement error. If the established rule before the competition were that you had to beat somebody by 3 or 5 cm to avoid a tie, they'd accept that. Or you could report the distances by rounding down to the nearest 5 cm, although that still has the occasional problem of two throws close to the rounding interval (e.g. 22.89 vs. 22.90 where the 22.89 is rounded down to 22.85).

3. Collapse Details

Bottom line: We can measure an estimated/elusive/undeterminable distance with great precision.

4. Collapse Details

I think we've been over this ground before wrt timing. Just because your watch will read thousandths or your tape millimeters does not mean those are meaningful distinctions.

5. Collapse Details

Administrator
    from the latest AI newsletter:

<<We knew at the World men’s shot put result was close, but Shaun Pickering writes that the official marks from the EDM system showed that just 4mm separated the top three: Kovacs 22.911, Walsh 22.908 and Crouser 22.907! Shawn says “When you consider that the EDM relies upon a stake be-ing placed vertically in the ground at the rearmost mark in the ground, by a guy running in from the side of the sector, you can see that we may have an issue here with $60,000 at stake for the winner! ....>>

6. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    About an 1/8th of an inch to win....And 1/25th of an inch separating 2nd and 3rd.....yeah I could see where that could be a problem....basically it was a tie....such accuracy is silly...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-30-2019 at 03:52 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    such accuracy is silly...
    and it doesn't even exist, but we like having a winner, so we wink and carry on.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Conor Dary View Post
    About an 1/8th of an inch to win....And 1/25th of an inch separating 2nd and 3rd.....yeah I could see where that could be a problem....basically it was a tie....such accuracy is silly...
    But we don't actually report results to 1mm, so these exact differences are irrelevant.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

9. Collapse Details

I don't see a problem here. Just measure to lesser cm and resort to next best throw(s) for placement.
    When a official rushes to a blurry spot on the grass and jabs the reflector pin somewhere in the impact crater, only God knows if the marker got it right. By a grand coincidence, sometimes the measurements are identical.

10. Collapse Details

???? ???? in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    But we don't actually report results to 1mm, so these exact differences are irrelevant.
    That was my point...completely meaningless...