Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

They figured Halász's throwing in the subsequent rounds was affected by the assumption he was in a medal position, so they didn't want to take the medal completely away, they just give Nowicki an extra one.

I think that call makes sense, which is the most surprising thing about it, I don't expect anything the IAAF does to make sense.

2. Collapse Details

There was a precedent from the 2005 EIC, when Bianca Kappler was given joint bronze after her jump was mismeasured, and there was no way of determining what the distance really was, but it looked good enough for a medal.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

3. Collapse Details

This shouldn't be happening in 2019, not at this level!
    They are making a mockery of the sport!

4. Collapse Details

It shouldn't be that hard in this day and age to put pressure sensors in the rim of the circle. We've had too many close and controversial calls on fouls in the throws at these champs.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    There was a precedent from the 2005 EIC, when Bianca Kappler was given joint bronze after her jump was mismeasured, and there was no way of determining what the distance really was, but it looked good enough for a medal.
    Precedent for an additional bronze, yes; precedent for credit for a distance she did not achieve, no. Official results credit Kappler with her 4th round 6.53 (good for 7th, otherwise). Her mismeasured final jump was not given a mark. Awarding the bronze did not change her best mark. Halász did not throw a legal 78.18 (the heel on the ring on his last turn was clear), yet the results credit him with that mark.

No question Halász was disadvantaged, give him a medal if that's the best resolution. But credit for a mark on a foul? No way.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post

No question Halász was disadvantaged, give him a medal if that's the best resolution. But credit for a mark on a foul? No way.
    No disagreement from me on this one.

7. Collapse Details

With this result debacle, the IAAF will never convince the greater world that TnF is credible

8. Collapse Details

Fortunately the greater world has absolutely no idea that such shenanigans are happening. That’s what you get for holding the world champs in the middle
    Of the desert in October.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Master403 View Post
    Because the official results are nonsense.

If Halasz did touch the ground outside the circle, the Jury has ruled the first throw a foul, in which case his 78.18 is negated, and he finishes last.

If the 78.18 is valid, how did Nowicki earn a bronze?

As a component of rankings, what do we have?
    Honors won: Both have a bronze
    Head to head: A tie for third with different marks
    Marks: Halasz has an edge here with a foul throw
    The issue here is that if Halasz' throw had been ruled Foul at the time, he would have gone about his other throws in a different manner. Having a big first throw allowed him to just go after a really big throw in following rounds, looking for Gold because he already had a very good mark from Rd 1. I think he had 4 fouls after this throw.
    If you remove the mark after the competition that is not fair for him, because he clearly would have gone about his following throws in a different manner, and may still have beaten Nowicki anyway on another throw. It is not the same as in a race, you have 6 attempts.
    Nowicki was considered hard done by in this situation by a bad (close) call by the official who did not spot the foul as his view was obscured by the athletes other leg, but was clear in the TV footage from the other side. The Poles appealed after the competition, and the Jury of Appeal rules that it would be unfair just to remove the mark of Halasz on a poor call, as he would have taken his other attempts differently, so instead they upgraded Nowicki to receive a medal that he might have had, but did not remove the mark of Halasz. Both marks stand, and both receive medals, so everyone (except a few statisticians) is happy with the outcome.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunPickering View Post
    Both marks stand, and both receive medals, so everyone (except a few statisticians) is happy with the outcome.
    Exactly my point on the original post.
    I have no problem giving him a bronze. I have a big problem giving him credit for a mark on a foul throw.