Facts, Not Fiction

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    The schedule was one reason for the low level, I think; usually there's a rest day between the qualifying and the final, and if not it tends to be a morning qualifier and evening final. The last time they had this little rest at the WC/OG level was in '88 (it's happened a few times since then at the Euros, including the fake-Euros of '12 and '16 which both had very underwhelming finals).

Even Etelätalo (who was the only one besides Peters to improve from qualifying to final) commented that having the qualifying and final on consecutive days was pretty tough.

Also, Vetter was injured coming in and Kirt injured himself during the competition, makes it harder to reproduce Q results.
    Did V tweak the injury in Q? Could he have eased off a bit, or is that just too risky?
    K had 5 full throws.
    I think it was similar to the m400H, where everyone ended up trying too hard. That doesn't work well in T&F.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    He effectively did by not competing anywhere his main rivals had any chance of being, except for the WC.
    No. His season did not match the calendar of the season of others. He had a collegiate season and then he did the two Regional competitions that were likely important to him and/or his federation, the NACAC (U23) and Pan Am Games. An undefeated season with the Gold at the World Champs - Kirt is his own competition. You do not know if he was even invited to the various DL meets, and his timing meant that he would be training back up in the summer, especially given his age.

Where was he going to train, and who was going to support. Since he is a student he has to remain an amateur so why go to those meets.
    Last edited by 26mi235; 10-08-2019 at 10:02 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Administrator
    anybody ever see any kind of followup report on Kirt?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    anybody ever see any kind of followup report on Kirt?
    "I've only seen an X-ray and it wasn't anything insane. But my arm gets stiff and there are question are there," he said, noting he needs to go for an MRI examination and then await its results."

https://news.err.ee/989622/gallery-j...t-arrives-home

5. Collapse Details

from an IP that never sent jazz that PM, never !
    not just guys

most famously, at the '64 OG Yelena Gorchakova set WR in the Q-round then was more than 5m shorter in getting "only" bronze in the final.... she was so distressed that she shaved her head and walked around the Olympic Village almost bald.
    yeah, winning a bronze medal in the greatest athletic competition on earth can be so so humiliating!

6. Collapse Details

not just guys

most famously, at the '64 OG Yelena Gorchakova set WR in the Q-round then was more than 5m shorter in getting "only" bronze in the final.... she was so distressed that she shaved her head and walked around the Olympic Village almost bald.
    I think the usual version is that the head-shaver was Ozolina (who was the incoming WR holder and the reigning Olympic and European Champion, but finished outside the medals); though looking it up, it seems the Soviets denied it ever happened at all.
    Last edited by LopenUupunut; 10-10-2019 at 07:38 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LopenUupunut View Post
    I think the usual version is that the head-shaver was Ozolina (who was the incoming WR holder and the reigning Olympic and European Champion, but finished outside the medals); though looking it up, it seems the Soviets denied it ever happened at all.
    That’s what I recall, that it was defending champion, Ozolina. In later years, she and Lusis got married, and Janis was at Tokyo in 1964 - one of the pre meet favorites. Perhaps he could shed some light on the subject.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catson52 View Post
    That’s what I recall, that it was defending champion, Ozolina. In later years, she and Lusis got married, and Janis was at Tokyo in 1964 - one of the pre meet favorites. Perhaps he could shed some light on the subject.
    Who is that Bald-Headed Beauty: The Mystery of the Soviet Javelin Champion

“There’s a bald-headed beauty who speaks Russian roaming the Olympic Village today. And a new Olympic mystery is swirling around her. Less than 24 hours ago the girl had beautiful, shoulder-length chestnut hair. Then she walked into a Village beauty parlor and ordered it shaved off. She walked out 20 minutes later, tears streaming down her face and her head bald as a billiard ball.”

9. Collapse Details

Administrator
    oops.... I confused Gorchakova and Ozolina

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Did V tweak the injury in Q? Could he have eased off a bit, or is that just too risky?
    Vetter had a piece of bone in his foot that had dislodged, that was why he had so many problems this year and very few competitions. It has been removed now and he should be back to old form in 2020. But according to the German javelin coach, the mediocre throwing by the two Germans was due to technical errors.